Electrics in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, i plan to use my garage and intend to installl the required electrics i.e light and sockets...

its a new build house and the builder kindly left me a supply to the garage from my fuse Board in the house.... its 6mm t&e connected to a 1 single socket oulet in the garage...

my intention is to install a furter board in my garage from my supply from house with usual rcd built in.. would i be right in saying a 2 Way Insulated Consumer Unit - 63 Amp RCD would be sufficent , one fuse way for the lighting and the other fuse way for the sockets...

i also wish to install 20mm conduit and from other posts im going to use single core 2.5 for approx 5 double sockets and 1.5 for lighting with a fused spur coming off for an outdoor light i.e designer decking lights or a security light..

would this be ok as im more a submarine electrician and not a really a domestic electrician .......... (on subs if it works its good no rules lol)

steve

Sponsored Links
Yes that's fine. Commonly called a garage board. Doesn't have to be 63A but that would do. You don't need to fuse down the outside lights though if you're using a separate lighting circuit. Obviously the fuse rating from your house fusebox needs to match the size (6mm) and length of your cable to the garage.

You using a radial final or ring final circuit for your socket outlets?

Most 'garage' units come with a 16A and a 6A MCB, you'll be hard pressed to find an RCCB with a rating of lower than 63A these days anyway, they don't provide overcurrent protection anyway, 63A is just the amperage they can handle passing through their circuits before it all goes Pete Tong.

im going for a radial circuit :) want to stop about 1m from garage door and not have to worry about looping back on my self to the board.

sparky spike what do you mean about match the size...?
Obviously the fuse rating from your house fusebox needs to match the size (6mm) and length of your cable to the garage

sorry for asking q's im hoping to do this right first time and not worry about it lol...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back