Garage Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theoretical Question ... I am having a new split load distribution board fitted shortly.
Currently I have a single power cable feeding both the sockets and the lights in the garage (not sure how but was like this when I moved in). Can I fit my old distribution board (to keep the cost down) in the garage and with a cable from a separate fuse in the new distribution board entering the old board and a 32A fuse for the sockets and a 6A fuse for the lights?
Is this acceptable?
Advice please? :(

Sponsored Links
If you are having an new CU fitted, surely it will have MCBs and not fuses?

In theory you can do what you are suggesting as long as the old board is in good condition. However remember that the whole point of circuit current protection (i.e. a fuse or MCB) is to protect the cable from excessive current (usually under fault conditions). You are describing your existing garage circuit as a radial, and this is fine as long as the fuse is correctly rated for the cable. It is perfectly acceptable to run lights this way as long as this is observed. So what size cable has been used? I would be surprised if it is big enough that you can reuse your 32A fuse.

Thanks for the reply. I stand corrected I do mean mcbs and not fuses. In answer to your question, the cable is a single run of 2.5mm to the sockets and light switches and 1.5mm from the light switches to the lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back