Outside Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this question my have been asked many times but here goes.
In my garage i have a garage consumer unit which drives the lights and sockets. can i connect into the lights fuse which does my lights and go to a fused switch and then to my outside light.

Sponsored Links
Why not simply make your outside light part of the lighting circuit? I'm assuming here that the installation is compliant with the regs and that you intend to use an outside light that is rated for external use.

To see how to wire in your new light, go to the 'sticky' called 'for reference' at the top of the Electrics UK forum index page

dingbat said:
Why not simply make your outside light part of the lighting circuit? I'm assuming here that the installation is compliant with the regs and that you intend to use an outside light that is rated for external use.

Because the access to and from the fuse box directly seems easier.

Sponsored Links
provided the lights side of the garage CU has a suitable (6A) breaker there should be no need for a fcu when wiring to it

haveing said that a fcu may be more conviniant as it means you won't need chock block for the nutral

you could also use one of these it looks like a lightswitch but it's double pole so again no chock block is needed for the nutral

also you aren't really meant to use T&E outdoors ie to run to an outside light though most people do

arctic blue is probablly the best cable to use for that part of the run

plugwash said:
provided the lights side of the garage CU has a suitable (6A) breaker there should be no need for a fcu when wiring to it

haveing said that a fcu may be more conviniant as it means you won't need chock block for the nutral

you could also use one of these it looks like a lightswitch but it's double pole so again no chock block is needed for the nutral

also you aren't really meant to use T&E outdoors ie to run to an outside light though most people do

arctic blue is probablly the best cable to use for that part of the run

Thank you all very much for your help.

I'm with dingbats suggestion. I'd come off the existing lighting circuit as only one conductor should be terminated to a protective device in the distribution board. The only time there should be two conductors is in a ring main for sockets.
This insures that sound connections are made to the MCB / fuse way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back