New outside light (where to run cable)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I would like to add a new outside light. I will feed the light from a consumer unit in the garage. The questions I have are:

(1) Can I simply add the new light circuit (containing only a outside light with PIR, no separate switch) to the MCB which is already supplying the inside garage lighting (fluoresent strips)?

(2) The light will be on an outside wall ~1ml from the garage. Can I simply ran the cable along the wall then up into the outside light? Or does the cable need to containing in rigid tubing?

thanks

ed

Sponsored Links
1, no.. a light needs a switch, you can't wire it direct from an mcb.. that is not an acceptable way of isolating the light to change lamps etc..

the switch can be inside the garage..

2. depends on the cable.. if you use something like FP200 or the like then clipped direct is ok.. otherwise it needs some form of mechanical protection..

breezer said:
unless he can move the light and come directly behind it

A very good point.

Ideally I'd like to situate the light on a wall ~2m from the garage. The cable would just have to run along the wall, no spanning gaps or anything like that. But if necessary I can put the light on the outside of the garage and have the cable come from behind.

So it is ok to have more than one light circuit (including switch ;) ) running from a MCB?

thanks again

ed

Sponsored Links
edstarvr6 said:
So it is ok to have more than one light circuit (including switch ;) ) running from a MCB?

ed

Yes, because it would effectively become part of the same circuit, just in the same way a single lighting circuit in your house would be wired to a number of light fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back