What cable should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install 3 outside lights 2 wall lights and a security with pir.
There will be no cable showing outside all the cable will be run inside walls or in the case of the security light it will be run in an internal garage with the light on the outside of the garage.

Also what cable would I use for on outside double socket. Would I need red protection? The house is 2 years old.

Thanks

Ross

Sponsored Links
There will be no cable showing outside all the cable will be run inside walls or in the case of the security light it will be run in an internal garage with the light on the outside of the garage.
Just normal 1mm² Twin+earth or flex.

Also what cable would I use for on outside double socket.
2.5mm² Twin+earth.

Would I need red protection?
RCD - yes.

The house is 2 years old.
Probably all RCD protected already.

I would expect to use 1.0 or 1.5 mm (twin and earth) flat cable for the lighting.

Assuming the outside socket cable is going to be run inside the property and not prone to damage, I would expect 2.5 mm2 twin and earth flat cable to be used. How are you supplying the feed for this?

If the house is only two years old, it would seem very likely you have RCD protection already. Send pictures of the consumer unit if you can.

The important thing to be certain of is making sure all these outside fittings are correctly installed so rain can't get in them.

Sponsored Links
It here is a socket on the inside wall which I intend to take a spur from.the socket is also higher than what the outside one will be so should get a good angle on the drilling of the hole to stop water ingress.

As for taking photo the consumer unit I am in the middle of the North Sea right now and do not get home until the 28th so will take a photo and post it then.

Thanks for the advice

Ross

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back