Armoured Cable

Sponsored Links
Sorted. The electricians said 2.5mm is perfectly suitable.
CONSIDERABLY cheaper than 10mm², good job you didn't listen to your friend!!

The best thing is, the friend is an Electrician! I've noticed he talks the spec of everything up - hence why I tried to double check by posting on here.

Still good advice to use 10mm2 though.

2.5 mm2 is very minimal, and although suitable for a light and some sockets for occasional use, 10mm2 would allow for future expansions, should want to add something unconventional - who knows, a kiln or a cooker or whatever other crazy thing you can think of.

Since the cable is being supplied from the house consumer unit position, you could have had a larger supply.

Personally once a cable is in the ground, I don't want to start digging to put a larger one in.

But you only need a light and a few sockets, so you will be fine.

Sponsored Links
I'd echo Sparkwright's observation- yes 10mm SWA costs a fair bit more than 2.5 (but do have a search online, you'll get it a lot cheaper than from any of the DIY sheds) but having excess capacity in the garage allows for all sorts of future expansion. The cost of digging the trench will be higher than the cost of what you're burying every time- while you've got the trench open, consider running a duct for alarm, CCTV, network, phone line- again costs not a lot to do while you've got the trench there and will make the garage much easier to convert to a retreat from the wife/kids/mother in law etc :)

I don't recall seeing that one.... anyone got a picture / scan?
I finally found the right magazine.
Armour.JPG

You'd never pull that cable out of the gland!

Perhaps he is dyslexic :p

That reminds me of the many times I have pulled bends in conduits, say a set and then a 90. Then realised I have made a mirror image of what was required!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back