Can I spur of a light switch cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to install a security light on the outside of my garage and have beenstruggling with the electrics.
Can I spur of the light switch cable for the main garage light or should it go the ceiling rose?

I tried a junction box from the garage light switch cable to a new switch for the security light but this doesn't appear to work properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Meggalar

Sponsored Links
There is no regulation governing how lights should be wired. Most use the ceiling rose as a junction box but with any lamps where a ceiling rose was not originally used it is common to use switch box as junction box.
With the latter you would expect to see a neutral in switch box in former the two lines will join in ceiling rose.
Any extra lamps need to come from where ever both line and neutral are taken and if you can't see then testing is only option.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for your help it is appreciated.
I'll leave the garage light switch cable alone and will spur from the ceiling rose instead.
Thanks
Meggalar

Never said he wasnt helped. Was having a bash at TTC for his display of boredom when asked a repetitive question.
Oooh - if only I was a believer in dragging things from one topic to another, think what I could do....

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back