Extra sockets and light switch and outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add 2 extra sockets in the lounge and hope to do this by drilling into the garage and get a spur from the socket in there.
I also wish to add another switch in the garage so I can turn the garage light on from from the back of the garage as well as the front.
The outside light will be a PIR security light also with a switch in the garage.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
the problem is that the garage should be on a separate fuse, (or already spured from something else) you should find out first.

You shouldd have all sockets in the same room fed from the same fuse so that if at a later date some one is working on a socket they know which fuse to turn off (yes you are supposed to test it to make sure it is off before working on it but what if this isn't done)

as for operating your existing garage light from a new switch too that is easy.

You should run a 3 core and earth from the existing switch to the new switch

you then change the existing switch to a two way switch

(you now have 5 cables in the old switch

put the existing red into L1

the existing black into L2

Put the new Yellow wire into C

put the new red with the old red (L1)

Put the new blue with the old black (L2)

Put switchback onto its patress

at new switch position copy colours for new switch

Disagree with breezer on that one, there is no requirement for every socket in the same room to be on the same circuit; frankly if you're stupid enough (not you personally :!: ) to work on a socket without first checking it's dead then you deserve all you get :evil: .

However you do need to check whether the socket in the garage is already a spur; if it is your options will be somewhat restricted.

fair comment, but you have to remember this is a DIY forum,and no doubt as you know people do the silliest of things

Sponsored Links
Thats unless they have a 3 Phase supply and the sockets within the lounge are on different phases and then you have 400V between sockets (nightmare) doesn't usally happen in houses I know......but the guy might be loaded and have a mansion with horses and stuff.........(losing the point).........Breezer I'm with you.......same circuit good for me

Thanks for your help and comments.

I have checked and the wiring in the garage is not on a spur.

In the fusebox there is one trip switch that covers all downstairs sockets.

The garage may be on the same circuit as the rest of downstairs, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that the garage socket is a spur.

If there are 2 cables going into the socket, does that mean it is on the ring?

usually yes it does, but it could be a spur off a spur, you will need to find out where each goes to. to be sure. sorry :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back