Garden lighting switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Complete novice, I'll get that out of the way first!

I bought a house in the summer, the guy had 2 external security lights fitted one at the front and one at the back. These looked like pretty crappy installs, i.e. the cables weren't tidily pinned to the walls, just a bit of a slapdash job.

So I changed those lights for 2 dusk to dawn wall lights, took his cabling down, and put in new cable, tidily pinned this time.

I took both those cables in through the holes he had to a switch in the entrance area.

The way he had it was, one cable came out of the switch box and went to the first light, and a second cable went out of that light and to the second light, so both were on one switch.

What I'd like is, each of those lights now switched independently, so I've installed a double switch.

When I took the old switch off, it didn't look like a normal lighting circuit. To me, it looks like a mains spur coming in, blue brown and yellow. He has connected the "mains spur" live into the top of one of the switch "blocks" and the lighting live into the bottom of it, L3 I think. Then he has used "in-line" (sorry if these terms are wrong) connectors to directly connect the earths and neutrals on both cables.

As I have no experience on electrics other than what I've picked up off the web, I've tended to just replace like for like, but obviously here I would like the two cables I've run to be connected to each of the switches, not both into a single switch.

Am I right, that if this is a mains spur, then I should actually install first a 30a RCD, and then a switch socket that has it's own 5A fuse in it?

Once that's done, how do I take a single mains spur and split the live across the two "blocks" in the back of a double switch? does connecting the live to one of them make them both live by any chance?

Thanks a lot
Nick

Sponsored Links
I thought maybe that would be the case

So, cut myself a little piece of brown cable, strip the ends, and connect the "C" where the mains spur live is into the "C" on the second bank, and then stick the second light live into L2 on the second bank

Thanks very much mate

According to the op the second light is fed from the first. Therefore they will need to re-route or replace that wire so that it goes to the new second switch. Once there then the neutrals and earths can be linked and the strapper fitted.
If your supply is from the power circuit(sockets) then you should at least fit a switched fused connector(3A fuse) before your switches. This always assuming you have RCD protection at your consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
That's how I found it yes, but I've since put new lights in and run a cable to each individually

cheers!

icon_thanks.gif

;)

Although I confess that I play the game as much as most, I have to say that I find it rather amusing to see adults playing this game - which is so reminiscent of school playgrounds and collecting 'gold stars' or 'brownie points' :)

I hope that everyone has a great Christmas!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back