GARDEN LIGHTS

L

llewop

Hi used this site a few times found it very helpfull so I'm back for some more advice. I want to put 5 lights round my patio in the garden, the lights are 240v/60 watt bollard fittings about 2 foot tall. The lights do not come with any cable so I want to know what cable to use. Thought about using swa but it seems like a lot of work terminating it at each light The cable will be buried in the ground round my garden. What about artic cable I saw in screwfix could I use this under ground. Or could I run swa to a waterproof box then leave the box in artic cable to all the lights in a loop. The lights are about 15m from my garage which I intend to take my supply from a rcd protected consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
ye do it in swa in to adaptable boxs and flex out of the boxs with a stuffing gland. you cant just put cabel in the ground with out a earthed armoring. you could use galv conduit but it would be more of a pain in the ass than doing in in swa

Thanks for getting back. So you say wire all light in swa to 5 adaptable boxs then flex to light fittings, can I bury the boxes in the ground next to the lights out of sight. Also what kind of flex would you use is artic ok or is there something cheaper I could use

Sponsored Links
Can you use the recess inside the 2ft bollard as the junction position, thus the junction is above the water / damp line?

I would avoid any type of junction other than a resin filled unit if buried in eartn / clay or mud.

An alternative to SWA would be hituf cable (see http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HT1dot5slash3.html.

If used it has no mechanical protection so you'd need to encase it PVC pipe and bury it 600mm under the ground.

Any buried cable must have earthed mechanical protection, be it steel conduit or swa. Hituf in plastic conduit will not offer such protection and is not suitable.

Using swa with the junction boxes in the bollards is the best way forward.

All the best
Dan

if you post the make and model of the lights we can tell you if they have suitable connection methods built into them..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back