What type of cable to beused for an outside socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I going to be putting a double RCD waterproof socket, outside at the front of the house (For plugging the hover in, to hover the car, & for the xmas lights at xmas), & just wanted to check what type of cable to use.

I thinking of using 2.5mm blue artic cable, as the cable will be clipped to the side wall of the house, about 3m from the ground, & the socket will be mounted appox. 2m off of the ground.

I was going to run the socket from a 16 amp MCB in the house CCU, Use 2.5mm blue artic cable to fed the socket, & next to the socket between the socket & the supply cable put a 1 gang MK Masterseal Grid Plus enclosure, with a 20 amp DP secret key Grid switch.(So that when the socket is not in use it, the supply to the socket can be turned off)

So would 2.5mm blue artic cable be ok to use, to fed this socket :?:

Sponsored Links
Use your artic flex to make an extension cord and sling it out the window :LOL:

Seriously, I'd probably use 3C SWA if it was me, artic flex would seem a bit naff to me if I saw it!

Seriously, I'd probably use 3C SWA if it was me, artic flex would seem a bit naff to me if I saw it!

I was going to maybe use artic flex, as it would be easier to work with, & you would only be able to see it from my bedroom window. There is already 2 runs of 20mm pvc conduit running from the kitchen to the loft, which you can only see from my window.

So would artic flex be ok to use, or could I use 2.5mm Hituf, to supply the socket.

You'd be better off finding a socket on the ring inside the house and going through the wall & mount your socket there immediately behind the inside socket.

Or fit an FCU adjacent to your inside socket and use that to switch off the outside socket.

If you MUST go back to the consumer unit dont forget its notifiable because you are adding a new circuit to your board. Why not just turn off the CB in the board if you want to disable it?

Sponsored Links
Bernard, read the post he said
......going to be putting a double RCD waterproof socket

Yes I did miss that, but if it is not SWA cable then an RCD before the cable leaves the house could be considered if only to protect a vandal who decides to hack through the cable for some reason.

That will not happen as to get to where the cable will be, they would have to climb over the high side gate, walk up the side path, then along the path to the shed, & then walk along the gap between the shed & the side wall of the kitchen (It is a small gap), push down the shed water butt, & walk over the top flowerbed of the courtyard, to get to where the cable comes out of the kitchen wall & runs along the side house wall.

SWA, PVC conduit, or if you must.....Hi-Tuff.

Ditch the artic blue idea..... :!: :!: ;) :rolleyes:

Stop trying to justify using it :LOL:

Artic - DIY cheap and nasty.
SWA - the only way - we know you can do it - you've posted us the pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back