cable for outside socket

L

llewop

Hi,
Iam putting a socket outside 15m along the wall of my house. The cable will be hidden below my decking safely out of harms way. I was going to use 20mm plastic conduit from the top of the decking to the socket, the socket is 200mm from the decking floor. I was wanting to know if it is alright to use 2.5mm twin and earth cable for this, is this cable water proof as I was just going to just clip it where I can under the decking it is to akward to run conduit under the decking with out lifting the whole decking.

Sponsored Links
no..

outside cable needs to be used for outside electrics..

in general T+E is unsuitable because...

1. the insulation is not suitable for frost conditions
2. the insulation seems to be a favourite food / nesting material for rodents and will probably get chewed through..
3. if it is chewed through or damaged in any way then there is no earthed metalic sheath to short it to earth and blow the fuse / breaker safely..

just get some SWA and use that..

cost wise it's sbout the same as T+E and steel conduit.. ( which is what you would have tou use.. not PVC )

the blurb on the page quite clearly states temporary installation..

also mentions use where no specific requirement for metal sheath is needed...

not suitable for outdoors...

Sponsored Links
The blurb on that page isn't very thorough. The hituf stuff is suitable for permanent outdoor use where it can't be attacked by rodents, but not below decking like the OP wants. Best just use some SWA cable.

Plenty of stories around at present of sub-decking areas being a favourite haunt for rats mice etc; they just love chewing cable just like squirrels. Use SWA and don't forget about Part P as I'm sure you will notify it to your local Council.

i was of the impression that all permanent outside cabling ( bar those 12V light spike things )has to either have an earthed metalic sheath ( ie SWA and the like ) or enclosed in an earthed metalic conduit / trunking..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back