Connecting 2 ip66 sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've got a decked area that already has an IP66 Socket, I want to just connect another one to it and run the cable under the decking and back up to the new socket. Was wondering what type of cable to use as it will be exposed freezing in the winter.

Cheers

MattNott

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use anything other than SWA myself. The cold means little - once installed, it's not moving. It's mechanical protection you need to achieve - The SWA will do this.

Swa is hassle, and since the majority is protected under the deck NYY

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/NY2dot5slash3.html

I'm not sure, because you don't mention it, but a spur off a spur isn't really right, but I will assume you have the 1st socket as a spur via a 13a fused spur. If no rcd circuit protection at the cu, a rcd fused spur is required.

If so 1.5 mm NYY will do.

Thanks Lectrician,

I was hoping to use something a little easier to work with but I get what you're saying about mechanical protection.

Another quick question some of my PIR outside lights are connected with Flat twin & earth cable is that safe or should they be a rubber flex or Arctic cable instead. These lights are located right in the middle of the garden either side of a wooden arch.
The feed cable is SWA to a IP protected junction box, which then has the flat twin and earth cable connecting the lights

Sorry if I should do another thread.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for ignoring my last post :rolleyes:

Twin and earth is an internal cable, so how good do you think it is against weathering, uv, wet, frost, snow, ice?

If you actually both to look at my link NYY will do the job for those lights as well.

Remember if the gland in the swa gland unit is twin and earth type, you will need to replace the glands with two for round cable.

You didn't answer the question re: rcd protection at the cu or fused spur. As I tried to suggest a spur of a spur is bad, unless the first spur is fuse limited via fused spur or rcd fuse spur if required.

Hi Chri5,

I wasn't ignoring your post I was replying to Lectrician and then I saw yours.

But great advice thank you.

The socket is protected by a fused spur and there is also an RCD at the CU.

I've ordered the NYY cable and I'm good to go

thank you again

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back