Outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The answer is probably no but just checking. Can i install an outdoor ip66 socket which is fed from another socket using a plug! I have socket on inside of prefabricated garage. I want to install one on outside of wall for lawnmower. Thanks socket was used by previous owner to supply two garden lights. These lights have been removed now. So I have a small run of cable already drilled through garage wall so was wondering if I can use this. (for now I have sealed cable ends with electric tape and removed the plug from socket on inside of garage.

Secondly am I allowed to do this work or not?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the cable already in place really and if it's suitable for mains voltage at all (not extra low voltage cable that had a transformer in the garage for example).

Ive done similar myself but the fuse in the plug needs to be the correct size to protect the cable in place. Can you give us any pictures or details off the cable?

David.

It depends on the size of the cable already in place really and if it's suitable for mains voltage at all (not extra low voltage cable that had a transformer in the garage for example).

Ive done similar myself but the fuse in the plug needs to be the correct size to protect the cable in place. Can you give us any pictures or details off the cable?

David.

Can put up a picture tomorrow when it's day time. Thanks

If you need to ask the question then I would say no you should not be doing any electrical work at all.

Sponsored Links
If you need to ask the question then I would say no you should not be doing any electrical work at all.

Wow - you're on fire tonight!
What specific information do you base this knowledge on?

Any chance you could expand upon your concerns?

Wow - you're on fire tonight!
What specific information do you base this knowledge on?

Any chance you could expand upon your concerns?

You are right. I am being unhelpful.

Is it just one twin socket you are installing on a plug top?

The cable would need to be an external rated cable in order to be run outside. Normally you would struggly to terminate any such cable correctly into a plug top.

If you do this work aftet the 01/07/15 external work not fixed to the dwelling will be classed as a special location and require notification with your LABC.

Come on guys he wants to install a fixed extension lead what can go wrong?

Unless the original socket is non compliant to start with the 13A fuse in the plug will ensure any over current will cause the supply to be automatically removed. (the fuse will blow)

The question is where is the RCD? There are a number of options, It may be already in the consumer unit, you could used a RCD socket, or you could use an RCD plug. If not already in consumer unit I would use a RCD plug.

The fuse in the plug should match the cable so a 0.75mm² cable needs a 5A fuse.

As to can you DIY it depends where you live and how you read Part P. In Wales because the cable is fixed then a new supply would need registering with LABC but since it's an existing supply being repaired one could argue this is not required. In England the regulations will not really stop you.

Blagdon marketed a system designed to get around the Part P regulations using plug in devices. I personally think it fell well short of the requirements. If the install was in the first place DIY then we don't know what was used so I do see a reason to warn you must work out exactly what you have.

However an extension lead using weather proof sockets has got to be better than one with simple trailing sockets. I have an extension lead to my shed OK it is SWA and it is only plugged in as about to change fuse box but still it is nothing more than an extension lead. Lucky fitted before 2004 so did not need to register with LABC.

The rules allow you to replace existing without informing LABC and also to complete work started before 2004. But England, Scotland and Wales all have slightly different rules as to LABC involvement.

The BS7671 regulations are however nation wide but not law although can be used in a court of law.

After replying I see London so really no problem. Do remember rules in Scotland and Wales are different which is likely why you got the negative reply from Scotland.

"plug top"? ... no bottom? :)
If you do this work aftet the 01/07/15 external work not fixed to the dwelling will be classed as a special location and require notification with your LABC.
Interesting - I may need some education here. I realise that Amd3 of BS7671:2008 added Chapter 714 (which says very little which is not obvious), but where does that date come from? - and. more to the point, have I missed some upcoming changes to the legislation regarding notification (in England)? Although the current legislation requires notification of additions/modifications in "special locations", the definition of "special location" for that purpose is very limited - only bathroom zones and rooms containing swimming pools or sauna heaters. Have I missed some significant upcoming changes?

... and, of course, Chapter 14 only relates to outdoor lighting, not 'power' circuits (sockets, pool equipment etc.). have I missed another new Chapter?

Kind Regards, John

"plug top"? ... no bottom? :)
Interesting - I may need some education here. I realise that Amd3 of BS7671:2008 added Chapter 714 (which says very little which is not obvious), but where does that date come from? - and. more to the point, have I missed some upcoming changes to the legislation regarding notification (in England)? Although the current legislation requires notification of additions/modifications in "special locations", the definition of "special location" for that purpose is very limited - only bathroom zones and rooms containing swimming pools or sauna heaters. Have I missed some significant upcoming changes?

... and, of course, Chapter 14 only relates to outdoor lighting, not 'power' circuits (sockets, pool equipment etc.). have I missed another new Chapter?

Kind Regards, John

Ammendment 3 comes into effect from that date.

Within ammendment 3 external installations not fixed to the building has been moved to section 7 - special locations. Therefore this type of work will require notification from that date

Within ammendment 3 external installations not fixed to the building has been moved to section 7 - special locations. Therefore this type of work will require notification from that date
Why?

Can you quote the law which says that, or is this more of your guesswork?

I know that - but you seemed to be implying a change of legislation on the same date - and I've heard no suggestion of that.
Did you not read what I wrote? Unless there is a change in the legislation, that simply is not true. As I said, in the current legislation, the definition of "special location" for the purpose of notification (in England) is very restricted (far more restricted than the things that BS7671 chooses to call "special locations"):
... so, unless you know of some upcoming changes in the legislation of which I am unaware, you are talking nonsense.

Kind Regards, John

I know that - but you seemed to be implying a change of legislation on the same date - and I've heard no suggestion of that.
Did you not read what I wrote? Unless there is a change in the legislation, that simply is not true. As I said, in the current legislation, the definition of "special location" for the purpose of notification (in England) is very restricted (far more restricted than the things that BS7671 chooses to call "special locations"):
... so, unless you know of some upcoming changes in the legislation of which I am unaware, you are talking nonsense.

Kind Regards, John

Have you got the yellow book yet?

Notification is a process which comes under The Building Regulations and as such the definition of a special location is as shown above.

It has nothing to do with BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back