Outdoor socket

I admire you care to follow the law. It is a shame The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 don't hold the same weight in your eyes by given incompetent people advice on how to do electrical works.
What on earth has that got do do with the requirements, in England, for notification of electric work under the Building Regulations?

Kind Regards, John

I am talking about some of the advice you have given to people who clearly could hurt themselves. Reading through your posts is alarming. So alarming that I would consider reporting them if they continue before someone gets seriously hurt.
What on earth has that got do do with the requirements, in England, for notification of electric work under the Building Regulations?

Sponsored Links
I admire you care to follow the law. It is a shame The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 don't hold the same weight in your eyes by given incompetent people advice on how to do electrical works.
1) The EAWR do not apply to DIYers in their own homes, as their home is not a place of Work.

2) There is no linkage between the EAWR and the notification requirements laid down in the Building Regulations.

Open to interpretation but most in the industry would consider the moment someone begins WORKING on a circuit they are in effect creating a place of work.

Open to interpretation but most in the industry would consider the moment someone begins WORKING on a circuit they are in effect creating a place of work.
They probably are, unless they are working on their own installation.

... but this still has got absolutely nothing to do with notification requirements (which is of absolutely no interest or relevance to EAWR!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
here are two photos. Not very clear in first picture but there is a conduit in the wall when cable exits garage wall. there are no marking on cable for me to check cable size.

main consumer unit has RCD protection.

View media item 94237
View media item 94238
thanks

If it was me I would install an IP67 rated box with fixed base connectors over this cable. From that box install an SWA cable (3 core / 2.5mm) to a convienient socket in the house. The SWA should be glanded with CW glands and the SWA earthed.

I would advise a qualified electrician to complete the final connections and test to ensure you have a safe installation.

Does your shed have any extraneous conductive parts? This could change things.

here are two photos. Not very clear in first picture but there is a conduit in the wall when cable exits garage wall. there are no marking on cable for me to check cable size.

main consumer unit has RCD protection.

View media item 94237
View media item 94238
thanks

If it was me I would install an IP67 rated box with fixed base connectors over this cable. From that box install an SWA cable (3 core / 2.5mm) to a convienient socket in the house. The SWA should be glanded with CW glands and the SWA earthed.

I would advise a qualified electrician to complete the final connections and test to ensure you have a safe installation.

Does your shed have any extraneous conductive parts? This could change things.

thanks for ur reply.

not sure what you mean about a socket to house. i want an outdoor socket. maybe i have not been clear.

there are no extraneous conductive part. its a pre-fab garage. thanks

Can i install an outdoor ip66 socket which is fed from another socket using a plug! I have socket on inside of prefabricated garage. I want to install one on outside of wall for lawnmower

So I have a small run of cable already drilled through garage wall so was wondering if I can use this.
That cable is not suitable for use outside, so the easiest option is to put the outdoor socket where the cable exits the wall with the cable into the back of the socket.

At the other end, T&E isn't ideal to fit into a plug, but plenty of people have done it.

If you want the cable to be exposed outside, then it would be better replaced with some black rubber flex, this would also be better to fit into the plug inside the garage.

The work is not notifiable, and yes, you can do it.
You do not need another RCD if your consumer unit already has one.

Is that how a place of "work" is defined in either the EAWR or the HASAW Act?

JohnW2";p="3382420 said:
Structural metalwork?
nothing that's outside and visible. thanks
It's what's inside the garage which matters. Is there any metalwork inside which does, or may, be in contact with the soil below?

inside of garage has metalwork to support the roof. i can't confirm either way of confirmation as the pre-fab garage is seating on a concrete foundation. thanks

Is that how a place of "work" is defined in either the EAWR or the HASAW Act?
I don't know, but I have a feeling that it might be, in the case of a tradesman/ whatever who is working in a customer's premises. After all, for many such people, their 'workplace' is always some customer's / client's premises.

However, the whole issue is clearly irreleavnt to the matter of notification!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back