Outdoor Socket

Sponsored Links
This is a fixed installation outdoors so it is subject to Building Regulations and notifiable to LABC with appropriate fees in advance. They will require a completed BS7671 EIC , or if you are lucky will inspect and test themselves (as they are supposed to).

The fact that it plugs into an indoor socket is of no relevance.

See the Wiki for full info on the requirements for meeting Part P of the buliding regs.

You could, of course, ignore all of this and just do as you suggest. I'm sure many people do exactly that. Remember to slope the hole up from outside to in so that water cannot run in.

Thanks for the reply, I hoped it would be ok as the box say DIY?

Thanks again.

I hoped it would be ok as the box say DIY?

The 'DIY' bit probably refers to it being easy to install - no need to open existing sockets or alter the wiring, or even turn off the power.
Still notifiable though (if in England or Wales).

Sponsored Links
P Charles there is nothing stopping you from installing this socket kit yourself but what these DIY stores fail to let you know is that you are legally bound to notify your local building control department prior to starting so as they can come out and inspect the work before you start and when you have finished..with a fee of approx £ 150-00. As you see this is impracticle for such a minor job and the fee is restrictive, therefore its best left to a Spark who is registered for Self Certification who will take care of everything for you at the time of installation and wont charge you the LABC fee.

If you decide to ignore this advice {not Recommended} then I would point out one thing about that kit and that is that the socket may well only be weatherproof [IP65] when its lid is closed.if you have a plug inserted its ingress protection may alter. check the manufacturers instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back