Outdoor socket

Notification is a process which comes under The Building Regulations and as such the definition of a special location is as shown above.

It has nothing to do with BS7671.

This will change after July. That example above is taken from the special locations defined in the 2011 version of BS7671.

Sponsored Links
Have you got the yellow book yet?
Indeed - but, as I keep saying, that has got nothing to do with the law regarding notification.

You don't seem to understand the difference between BS7671 and the legislation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This will change after July. That example above is taken from the special locations defined in the 2011 version of BS7671.
It wasn't 'an example' - it is the current [/b]law[/b], and that will remain the current law unless/until the law is changed.

Your apparent belief that BS7671 defines "special location" for the purpose of notification is just nonsense. The law means what it says. Even in terms of Amd1 (2011) the definition of "special location", the law (as quoted above) only required notification in relation to things that Chapters 701, 702 and 703 of BS7671 (2008:2011) regarded as special locations. There was no requirement (per the law) for notification of work in areas that Chapters 704, 705, 706, 709, 709, 710, 711 712, 717, 721, 729, 740 or 753 of BS7671 regarded as special locations, and absolutely no reason to even dream that Chapter 714, which has appeared in Amd3 relates to work that suddenly require notification, either - unless/until the law is changed.

You seem to be inventing you own law!

Kind Regards, John

I will await your apology after July. 😀
That isn't very far away, close enough, in fact, for you to be able to do the following TODAY, then you won't have to wait, and nor will anybody else.

Either:

1) Provide the link to the SI on legislation.gov.uk (which must have been published by now if it comes into effect on 1st July) which makes external work not fixed to a dwelling notifiable.

Or:

2) Apologise.

Which is it to be?

It is very simple. LABC use guidance in special locations from BS7671. This has changed in the 3rd amendment. Come on! Please.
Rubbish. LABC have to work to the law just as do everyone else. They cannot invent requirements for notification which don't exist in the law.

As I've just written, are you really and seriously suggesting that work in areas specified as 'special locations' in Chapters 704, 705, 706, 709, 709, 710, 711 712, 717, 721, 729, 740 or 753 of BS7671 has been notifiable since at least 2011 (can't be bothered to look for my red book!), despite the fact that the law clearly indicates that they aren't?

Kind Regards, John

I admire you care to follow the law. It is a shame The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 don't hold the same weight in your eyes by given incompetent people advice on how to do electrical works.

Have you got the yellow book yet?
He has, and so have I, so would you be so kind as to tell us where it says that external work not fixed to the dwelling will require notification to LABC.
Quite. This is getting plain silly. Since when has BS7671 had any ability to say anything about legal requirements for notification - it's got absolutely nothing to do with the scope of the document! ... and, in any any event, BS7671 applies in many territories, some as close as Wales and Scotland, which are not subject to English laws (hence English legal requirements for notification).

Kind Regards, John

I admire you care to follow the law. It is a shame The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 don't hold the same weight in your eyes by given incompetent people advice on how to do electrical works.
What on earth has that got do do with the requirements, in England, for notification of electric work under the Building Regulations?

Kind Regards, John

1) The EAWR do not apply to DIYers in their own homes, as their home is not a place of Work.

2) There is no linkage between the EAWR and the notification requirements laid down in the Building Regulations.

What on earth has that got do do with the requirements, in England, for notification of electric work under the Building Regulations?

Kind Regards, John

I am talking about some of the advice you have given to people who clearly could hurt themselves. Reading through your posts is alarming. So alarming that I would consider reporting them if they continue before someone gets seriously hurt.

Oh, and BTW...
Either:

1) Provide the link to the SI on legislation.gov.uk (which must have been published by now if it comes into effect on 1st July) which makes external work not fixed to a dwelling notifiable.

Or:

2) Apologise.
Please do not think that there is an option along the lines of

3) Ignore this and hope it just goes away.

Trust me - there is not, and it will not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back