Outdoor cable

16 Mar 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need to run a temporary socket outside for Christmas lights. I need to run the cable about 20m and so was intending to use standard 2.5mm 3 core. The plug will be plugged inside the house, and I was then going to put the socket in a wall mounted IP65 case outside. Will this be ok or do I need to use a different type of cable outside?
Sponsored Links
Do you mean 2.5mm2 3 core 'round' flex?

Or 2.5mm2 2 core+bare earth 'flat' cable?

Or something else?
Sponsored Links
So no. You would need rubber flex. There is no way to terminate what you have into a 13A plug.
Depending on how far away from the house the lights will be, buy a suitably long extension lead but not on a drum, just a flat bar type. Cut the plug off, drill a hole through your wall/window frame and fit a new plug with the correct rated fuse for all your lights.
In the garden put the socket end into a Dri-Box; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dri-Box-FL...ie=UTF8&qid=1543777797&sr=8-1&keywords=dribox then plug your lights into this.

Afterwards you can remove it and seal the hole with silicone.
Is that a better solution then (and 'terminated' correctly) than just running the Prysman cable?
Yes, because you cannot properly terminate twin and earth into a BS 1363 plug.

So no. You would need rubber flex. There is no way to terminate what you have into a 13A plug.

Nor can you necessarily terminate any 2.5mm² cable as plugs are not required to have terminals that big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links