Garden Office on old Asbestos Garage Slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting my old asbestos timber garage removed and hoping to erect a garden room in it's place, bit of a half DIY job to avoid getting ripped off, however I don't know if the base is good enough for a more comprehensive building, here's some pics of it inside and out.

I've already settled on SIP's as the material as it suits my insulation needs, I'll probably clad with Cedar on the front and sides and something cheaper on the back (possiblt cement board as it's onlt a foot from next doors garage)

I was thinking of maybe doing a frame of timber bearers using tanalised wood (C24?)on some QuickJACK - HS's which are little adjustable feet you can screw onto concrete.

The office will be 8'x20' (6.1m x 2.44m) the current timber garage is about 8' x 28'.

Any help and advice at the early stages before I start ordering in the SIPs kit would be greatly appreciated.

Please give me a shout if you need anymore info,
Thanks in Advance.
20180302_104009_resized_1.jpg
20180302_104019_resized_1.jpg
studio1.JPG
studio3.JPG
studio4.JPG

20180302_104019_resized_1.jpg studio1.JPG studio3.JPG studio4.JPG

duplicating links removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Don't see the point of the quick jacks. If you have concrete below, just build a timber frame on top of 6 or 8 concrete blocks. Much cheaper.

Note also that SIPs are more expensive than a traditional timber frame, and they are heavier and harder to manoeuvre.

Also if this is going to be under permitted development, you have to stay within 2.5m height.

Don't see the point of the quick jacks. If you have concrete below, just build a timber frame on top of 6 or 8 concrete blocks. Much cheaper.

Note also that SIPs are more expensive than a traditional timber frame, and they are heavier and harder to manoeuvre.

Also if this is going to be under permitted development, you have to stay within 2.5m height.

Unfortunately I don't think the concrete base is even enough on closer inspection it seems to be two bases done at different times to extend the garage, so quick jacks or similar may be my only option, I am trying to keep the build under 2.5m (it will be the same level as my driveway the garden steps down 50cm from the drive and back of the house) it will be 2.43m at the back 2.49m at the front if measured from the drive.

I've managed to get the sips kit specified to my designs above for £2700 exc VAT and delivery on top and as I said it suits my needs both for insulation and build quality. So even though there might be a slightly higher initial cost it should pay for itself in quality, ease of build and heating savings.

I guess my question is now I know the base is unlevel what is the best hard surface jack system?

If it's unlevel then you either spend £££'s on a jack system or level it the normal way with blocks on a bed of mortar.

Sponsored Links
If it's unlevel then you either spend £££'s on a jack system or level it the normal way with blocks on a bed of mortar.

haha fair enough, I just had no idea what the normal way was hence the question :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back