Garden on two different levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently dug out a large area of sloping garden that came right up to the back of the house.

I am now left with a two tiered garden of about 1 meter difference and an awful sandstone and mud bank facing us as we come out into the garden.

I would like to contain the bank using either 3" or 4" square tanalised posts concreted into the ground at 6' centers with some kind of ply behind them to contain the soil and then "face off" the front with horizontally fixed decking or similar material that wont shrink and show gaps in between.

Has anyone had experience of doing a similar project and what materials should I use for the ply going face to face with the soil?

Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
for what you will pay for that, why not use new railway sleepers. Much stronger and longer lasting and will retain the soil better. Quicker and easier to build as well.

Thanks for the reply Thermo.

I had considered sleepers a while ago but I was worried about the stacked height and securing them in place.

Just done a quick google search and I am surprised by the number of the number of options in spleeper material, i.e. hardwood, softwood, new and reclaimed.

I will phone round the Merseyside area tomorrow to get some prices.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Also with sleepers, if you want a cleaner look, then you can drill through each one and insert a concrete re-enforcer bar down through the sleepers and concrete that into the ground. Bit like a big lego set :D

Alternatively you can lay them upright on their end and concrete them in, see this document for more info

www.harrogate.gov.uk/pdf/DS-P-Ldg5_4.pdf

Andrew

Moderator, edited the link :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back