Garden Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
We're planning on building a garden studio/office at the Northern boundary wall of our garden.
We just wanted to get confirmation of a few things before going ahead and thought this was the best place to ask..

The site we have chosen is approximately 1m from the boundary wall. Presumed this would mean we would need planning for anything >2.5m roof height.
As the site is significantly sunk (approximately 2.5m) down from the ground level abutting the wall on the other side (an unadopted track/lane) I'm not sure how the 2.5m roof height rule would apply? Does the rule apply to the height in relation to the ground level of the boundary land?

We are hoping to get something as close as possible to the 30sqm restriction, so 7.5m x 4 I guess.

Also wondering, if we need it, how easy is it to apply for planning ourselves, presumably there is some good software out there for floorplans etc. but is it just worth paying someone to do this? If so, is there a generic online service you would recommend?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
With regard to applying for planning yourself - it is straightforward. Planning are essentially only interested in size, location, appearance (and use). You can download the site and location plans online for about £10 each (e.g. requestaplan.co.uk). The only other plans needed are plan and elevation drawings to scale - but these can be hand-drawn pencil sketches as long as they show the general size and arrangement - they do not need to be professionally produced. Here's one a neighbour got passed locally as an example.

Image2.jpg

Ah thanks very much that’s actually really helpful, I did think it was possible and we’ve wasted money on architect drawn plans in the past.

I think for extensions etc where the job is more complex, then professionally drawn plans are more appropriate, but for a square box of a detached garage/garden room there aren't many details to show!

Sponsored Links
The maximum height is measured from the highest point of contact of the natural ground level with the building. So if the ground falls 2.5m, then potentially your building would be 5m maximum height.

Sorry for slow reply, only just noticed this. Interesting - the ground at the back of the building is retained by a large wall, does this mean that for the structure to be considered "in contact" with the higher (retained) ground level we would have to build the structure onto the retaining wall, without a gap between the wall and the building? Unsure if that makes sense - presumably there is a point of contact at our counties planning office we could contact to ask something like this?
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back