Garden Pipe Found

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've hit this pipe whilst digging, it's around 150mm deep. I've dug a pilot hole further down to verify it's not just loose pipe and it extends further into my garden at seemingly an increasing depth. It protrudes immediately behind my garden fence without seemingly going anywhere. It's not a T junction, it just goes up out of the ground. On my house plans there is an item stating there is "SW Storage" underground on my plot and a few others. I've attached a few pictures. Any idea's what this is?

278712202_5666420893387336_4976715814473819778_n.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-23 at 6.25.31 PM.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Surface water storage?
Perhaps it's part of a soak away system or a SUDS system and it buffers the water. You'd have to check your deeds to find out more if it's for the whole street.
I'd guess the open pipe is some kind of vent, although it may be more of a rats entrance in reality.

Surface water storage?
Perhaps it's part of a soak away system or a SUDS system and it buffers the water. You'd have to check your deeds to find out more if it's for the whole street.
I'd guess the open pipe is some kind of vent, although it may be more of a rats entrance in reality.

I believe it's storm water storage, a sort of overflow that is partially under my land and the next 2/3 houses also. Strikes me that it is more of a rodent entrance too. If it is just a vent, it doesn't strike me as well done. Not only the depth of the pipe leading up to it, but surely there should be some sort of grill on the end, and also better placed. The land behind me is privately owned also so I wonder if there's any implications there. Is that why it's hugging my fence so tightly? Maybe.

Sponsored Links
Many front gardens down my street have one of those in the front corner, level with the flowerbed. Many have covered them up, including me. I never knew what they were. Our rainwater down pipes just disappear into the ground, not into an open drain. Semi detached houses with one pipe in the middle of the two houses. The front downpipe is on my side, the rear pipe is on my neighbours side. I once tried running the hose down my downpipe to see if I could hear water running from mine. I couldn't so I covered it up about 20 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back