'Random' pipe found under old decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently purchased my first house which had some horrid rotting decking in the garden. I've ripped it up and discovered underneath the decking, frame, 'plastic under layer' that there is a pipe underneath it all.

As far as I can tell (see pictures below) the pipe isn't connected to anything at the far end. Beyond my garden is a steep wooded embankment which leads to a dual carriageway for info.

I haven't yet tried to find the end nearest to the house but on first examination is does appear its heading in the direction of an inspection cover.

I'm going to try and dig out the plans to see if this pipe is showing on there, if it isn't.... any ideas what it might be for if anything at all? I don't want to remove it and find my garden flooded. Just for info as pictured is the depth I found the pipe.

I'll try dig the plans out and reply with an update if I find anything of use.

Thanks. View media item 71851 View media item 71852

Sponsored Links
From the colour of the pipe I would guess it is (or was?) some sort of drain. However it appears to slope towards the house, which seems a little strange, as it isn't connected to anything at the top end. Can you lift the inspection cover and see if it appears there?

Thanks for the quick replies.

I can try and have a look under the inspection cover, haven't tried to lift it but it looks heavy and awkward to lift (no where to get a hold of it as such) at some point.

I mean with it not being connected at the top end, presumably it is of no real use at this stage? Just beyond the top end is a small dry stone wall.

I do plan on having that area paved/flagged, how long till that happens I'm not sure. Might be worth keeping the pipe in if it does connect to the drain to add a drainage to any future pation (and as you say may have previously been for this purpose).

Sponsored Links
Is it possible that it is (or was) a drain to take any water which runs down the bank at the back and gathered behind the wall.

Fair point...just seems like it would be woefully ineffective to just have an open pipe plonked there like that. The water if any from the bank behind isn't directed into this pipe as such. I'll have to dig the plans out and see if it's connected to the other end as no definitive answer. Could just be a left over pipe perhaps, sloppy, but an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back