Garden planter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’d like to have a go at rendering a blockwork planter I’ve built in my garden. As I am a complete novice when it comes to rendering I thought I’d use Tarmac ready mixed one-coat render which seems to have quite a lot of good reviews on the Wickes site. I understand that 1 bag covers 1.4 sq. metres at 10mm depth. Now, showing the extent of my ignorance! Do I mix enough to finish the particular wall I’m doing, or just mix one bag at a time?
Oh dear! That sounds really stupid, but ......

Sponsored Links
I'd mix enough to do wall, however it depends if you want a patchy look or just doing small areas. Don't want to waste any. Skill builder has a few demos and shows you how to do it. Have a look at the ones they have and pick out the information that's useful...Here is a pro one but maybe have a look at the others that talk you through it from skill builder channel..

I think those bags really need to mixed up with water, but if the dry mix is well mixed you can mix half if that's all you want

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks for that. I’ve just got corner and stop beads from Rendit and just got back from picking up some Pinkgrip from Wickes. Perhaps get some on tomorrow and do a bit of rendering (weather permitting) on Monday. Oo-er!!
I’ve got an old, steel metre rule with a handle which I intend to use as a feather edge to take the high spots off. Thankfully the walls are only about half a metre high, so I should be able to use the beads to level off the render. What’s best to rub up? Sponge, plastic float or wooden float?

Scratch coat first, then rule top coat flat, and float with a poly or wooden float. Top coat on a different day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back