GARDEN PROJECT FOR THE MISSUS - HELP !!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reading, I'll keep it simple....

We've got a lovely paved garden in our new home and the Missus now wants a BBQ and SPACE FOR STORAGE....

I've designed it and its gonna take 600 Bricks approx.
Feel free to look at the Photo i've attached in the GARDEN PROJECT ALBUM. Its a really rubbish drawing of the Project's Footprint, so you can see the design...

FIRSTLY, does anyone know a good place to get Bricks ???
(PREFERABLY A BARGAIN)

SECONDLY, any advice for taking up the Paving and laying the cement ???

THIRDLY, for all the experienced Builders on the board, are there any wise words of wisdom you can offer for my project ??? any typical mistakes rookie builders always make that YOU could help me avoid ???

I can provide more info on the actual project if needed.

Thanks Fellas ! Much Obliged.....

Sponsored Links
600? Are you sure? Say 10 courses high, that's 60 bricks a course, thats about 12m of (single layer) wall. Is it a walk in BBQ?
Get your BBQ bits first, to ensure you make it the right size.
Get your bricks from a builders merchant, or the local rag might have some "free to collect" in the ads.
Orientate the BBQ so the prevailing wind doesn't blow into the cooks face.
That's about all I can think of.

Thanks for replying Mate.

Yeah, 600 Bricks !

I'll describe it a lil so you can picture it.

At the back of our garden we have a small Brick wall,
its 3 bricks high and 25 wide (approx) 75 bricks total.

I want to build another 7 courses (if thats the right term)
above these 3, so I'll have a wall approx 80cm high
and still 25 bricks wide (approx 570cm)

If you look at my really bad drawing, this new wall
im building will be the back of the BBQ/STORAGE
im building.

From this wall I'll build a lil rectangle "Storage space"
and pay a Carpenter to build a Lid for it that slants.
(this is the rectangle in the drawing)

I can store Paint and Ladders and Deck Chairs and
stuff in there, currently we have no Garden Storage.

I'll need another 240 Bricks to build the other 3 sides
of the Storage. Then I'll need another 40 to build the
small wall to the Left of the BBQ (which will support
the Grates)

Directly above the BBQ, I'll build the back wall a
metre higher, that way i won't burn my wooden
fence directly above the Fire. Thats gonna take a
further 60 odd bricks. Im assuming this will all be
secure enough LOL

Hopefully that makes sense ?

The Majority of the Bricks is going into the Storage,
the total width is 570cm, so you can see where the
Bricks are going. Believe me I wish it was less !!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll get the Grates first. The
Orientation should be Ok too. Good advice.

Any advice on the lid/cover of the Storage ?
I would buy the wood and drill it on myself but I
want to be sure that the Wood can survive for years
outside (with maintainence) and that the the fixture
(hinges etc) are tight enough to keep the Contents
inside bone dry.

Im guessing it should request the Carpenter build the
lid with a slant so Rain can run off it, anything else I
should consider there ?

Finally, am I right in thinking that making this
thing "one brick thick" is enough to make it safe ?

Breeze Blocks along the inside is Over Kill, im
hoping single brick is enought. It won't be higher
than 80cm, so I guess it will be ok.

Cheers.

I see.
Not sure about the overall stability though, esp where you are going to extend the wall above the bbq. It should tie in to something or surely it'll fall over.
You might consider building some mesh/galv strapping into the design to hold it together. The heat of the bbq will most likely induce a little expansion and contraction in the bricks.
Ref the roof - shed roofing felt (gritty stuff) on (marine) ply, with a flashing on the top edge and a drip on the bottom. Or just (marine) ply with a good quality external woodstain. Or will that be a bit too heavy to lift?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, Good Thinking.

What I'll probably end up doing is attaching some kind of Heat Resistant Garden Feature on the Fence above the fire. Im sure the Missus would love that. I was only considering the extended Bricks to protect the fence. I'll scrap that from the design and drill something suitable up instead, save me some money.....

THANKS, you've got me thinking.

As for the rest of the brick structure, if the overall height is 80cm,
and every wall is supported by at least one other right angle (as seen in my brilliant drawing!) will that be enough to ensure it won't collapse ?

Or should I use a few Breeze Blocks I have lying around to support the Shed on the INSIDE ?

Great advice on the Lid too, I didn't think about using Roofing Felt, I was only thinking about the Wood Finish, but Felt would be more practical.

My main concern with the roof is I don't want it to warp, or bend or rot, so Marine Plywood would be a good idea. If its going to be approx 400cm Length, what thickness should I make it ? Lifting it won't be a problem, because whatever goes in there will stay in there for a very long time. I just want the contents stay dry....

I couldn't think of a design to fix the Lid to the bricks with hinges and still ensure the elements can't get in. Thats why I was going to get a Carpenter, but now im thinking about it, maybe I shouldn't even use Hinges ? I could attach a thin edge running along either side underneath the Lid, so it hugs the Bricks when I put the Lid on, like a Biscuit Tin lid....

It will be heavy enough to stay down, it will keep the elements out, and it can only be moved if its lifted UP. Having a hinge would be a headache anyway, for starters, how would I keep the Lid UP while im taking out the ladder ? Far better I lift the lid off, stand it up against the fence and access things that way....

Thanks again, Any More Advice ???

LOL

Well it sounds like you're working it out...
It's a tricky detail, where the lid(s) hinge, and stay waterproof, but if you fix a timber to the wall just beneath the top, you could use that for the hinge support, and big copings above to avoid leaks, or maybe a flexible flashing.
I think i'd go for hinging not lift off, they'll be a struggle to get on and off, and you won't come home to squashed kids or the missus. You could make the lid in say three manageable sections, but again, the "overlap" detail needs some care.
It'll be a fun little project, but you're right to try and work it out before you start.

LOL, much obliged mate.

I been on the phone to (not sure if I can say who on this site, but it begins with J and ends in N ) about the Bricks and it could be anything from 25p to 40p per Brick depending on my choice, and after speaking with you it'll be less bricks, more like 500.

which brings me to another question.

how much cement/sand, in your opinion, do I need ?

Im sure they'll tell me when I get there, but its nice
to have an informed opinion before I go.

**as you can see im not an expert....im buying some "coping" to cement on top of a brick bin shed to cover it, its a slab of concret, about
50cm by 50cm, about 2" thick. I was told thats called coping

what type of coping was you refering too ?

Flash sounds like a good idea, I thought of that, but like you said, it'll take some ingenuity to work out how to secure the gaps between separate sections.... well see what happens, I need to lay some bricks first !!!

Greetings to all !!!

Ok, I have a finalised plan, a pallet of Bricks, bags of Cemet, and the tools needed to build my Shed....

I have a question about the foundation.

I've been told three things so far and I'd like your opinion:

FIRST, I was told that I should dig 6 inches deep and lay a bed of Concrete 6 inches thick. I should then build my Brick Shed on top.

SECONDLY, I was told to merely remove the Tiles which currently occupy the Brick Sheds location, and use Timber to shore up a Frame for a 4 inche thick Concrete bed. (to picture it - This means that the Concrete would rise just short of 4 inches above the other tiles)

FINALLY, I was told that, since my Tiles are Cemeted together, and they have been laid on a solid foundation, I should save the hassle of smashing up the Tiles and simply use timber to build the same Frame described above AND LAY A 4 INCH CONCRETE BED ON TOP OF THE EXISTING TILES.

What are your opinions ?

Instinctively im leaning towards doing the hard work of smashing up my Tiles at the back of the Garden, BUT, if I can save the time and money by simply laying my foundation on top of the Tiles, I'll happily do that.

Any Suggestions Fellas ?

Cheers.

Greetings to all !!!

Ok, I have a finalised plan, a pallet of Bricks, bags of Cemet, and the tools needed to build my Shed....

I have a question about the foundation.

I've been told three things so far and I'd like your opinion:

FIRST, I was told that I should dig 6 inches deep and lay a bed of Concrete 6 inches thick. I should then build my Brick Shed on top.

SECONDLY, I was told to merely remove the Tiles which currently occupy the Brick Sheds location, and use Timber to shore up a Frame for a 4 inche thick Concrete bed. (to picture it - This means that the Concrete would rise just short of 4 inches above the other tiles)

FINALLY, I was told that, since my Tiles are Cemeted together, and they have been laid on a solid foundation, I should save the hassle of smashing up the Tiles and simply use timber to build the same Frame described above AND LAY A 4 INCH CONCRETE BED ON TOP OF THE EXISTING TILES.

What are your opinions ?

Instinctively im leaning towards doing the hard work of smashing up my Tiles at the back of the Garden, BUT, if I can save the time and money by simply laying my foundation on top of the Tiles, I'll happily do that.

Any Suggestions Fellas ?

Cheers.
fast your the 2nd person whos going to build something on a 150mm concrete slab and its totaly wrong, if its that big think of it as building a house,how many houses have been built on slabs yet to see one , its easier to dig out a 300mm deep footing concrete it lay your bricks and then fill in with 100mm concrete after ,if it was a b and q 400mm by 600mm grill being used go ahead and do it on a slab ,but the size your talking about its easier to do it the way iam suggesting :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back