Garden Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys....

So over the next couple of weekends i'll be erecting 18 new fence panels... after that there's a few ideas but im looking for some advice on a graveled area of the garden...

I have an area of about 24sqm which is gravel, im thinking of laying a (slightly raised) patio over this area, can i use the gravel to make the sub base? where do i start? i'm thinking some kinda small retaining wall/sleeper buried in the ground to contain the sub base? or do i clear the gravel and start from scratch?

FYI - i also have a garage which is coming down and if the rubble for this can also be utilised that would be awesome, need to wait for a couple of quotes on removing the asbestos roof first!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a depth to fill the rubble wont be useful. You could mix the gravel with sub-base at about 50:50 and compact. Gravel alone is no good as it doesn't compact. Generally speaking you want to you masonry to retain sub base as timber will gradually rot and fail. Even a very rough concrete block wall and then use sleepers to dress it cosmetically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back