garden rock lights installing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is my first post,so be gentle with me.i hope to install some low voltage rock lights in my back garden approx 7-8 lights over a large spread of the garden against a back wall.the area of the install is approx 50-60 foot.

i have outdoor rcd socket already fitted at the house which i assume should cover the supply issue.most of the kits i have advertised have only 3 or 4 rock lights and a minimal cable spread.

can it be done?

thanks
gizzyprince.

Sponsored Links
If you want to light the wall/fence etc up, I would look for something different....these rock lights don't seem to last too well. They also come as a kit with a plug in transformer, and the transformer is usually designed for inside use only.

Just a thought - would a chain of mains voltage 80w spotlights with ground spikes be notifiable under part p? they aren't fixed, and if you plug them in, they aren't wired in either.

GIZZYPRINCE said:
most of the kits i have advertised have only 3 or 4 rock lights and a minimal cable spread.
i agree with lectricain

but before you think it, no you cant cut the rock lights off from one set and join it to another.

the reason is the transformer. most kits have a transformer rated at just enough to supply the given number of lights, adding more will cause the transformer to overload and burn out.

minimal cable spread as you put it, is to allow for smaller cables to be used so the kit becomes cheap. The longer the cable run is the bigger it has to be in order to prevent volt drop

you might want to go to b & q they have select a light but most are 10w, not exactly what you want, but easy to install, and don't mention solar lights

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back