garden shed.12ftx8ft. wet wet soft clay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i need a base for my shed 12ft x 8 ft, ive read lots on the web about hard core, then either concret slab or paving slabs etc, read about 100mm hardcore is best for soft clay etc.

Questions are,
1. its really really wet out there at the mo, should i wait for it to dry out abit (its clay and water logged)
2. the garden is on a little slope, and im not sure exactly hows best to fit the shed base into it., i know the base should be totally level, but if i cut into the slope for the base, the base will be about 150mm lower than the ground at the worst point (if you can picture that?)
Either that or it will be above the ground by abouty 150mm at one end (level at the other)

Will i need a little wall (like a retaining wall)?

3. Do i need a geotextile (weed barrier sheets?) between the clay and the bottom of the hardcore, to stop the hardcore sinking into the clay?

Thanks for help

Simon

PS just phoned elliots for some hardcore and he tried to sell me 40mm stones and said that will do. Surely thats not right is it?

Sponsored Links
hi? anyone any ideas? i sorta need to get on with this asap

Better to dig than fill out. Or better to dig out one side and use that to level the lower section. I don't see that any membrane would be worthwhile under stones. Clay moves an awful lot, you could either dig deep to get a solid foundation, or just sit the shed on top and go with the flow.

I'd get some big 450mm paving slabs and use them as your base, then sit the shed on top of these on timber bearers/sleepers or concrete blocks. You could also do a line of concrete or better still trench blocks (thicker) as a mini retaining wall where the ground is higher.

The hard work alternative is to dig out and lay hardcore/concrete. but this will cost a lot more too and depends on the intended use of your shed. If it's an off the shelf shed from one of the er, sheds, then I'd get some extra lengths of timber. 3, 4 and 6x2's to reinforce the main frame and floor.

Sponsored Links
thanks deluks.

I think ill have to use some scalpings as hardcore, to give it a chance of staying in position.

What are trench blocks? got a link

I have light weight concrete blocks already from when it was up in the last house, so im using those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back