shed base on clay soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm reading so much opinion on this so thought i'd ask.

Getting an 8x8 corner shed/summer house , and it's going on top of a heavy clay soil (which previously had an old shed on top resting on pavers and a badly done dry mix, mainly sand).
I've levelled off down to the soil again. My original plan was a 50mm 5:1 mix directly on top of the clay soil, then the pavers. Would this be okay? I'm not sure if i need a sub base ? I guess my other options is a plastic shed base, but again, would i need to sub base on top of the clay soil?

Sponsored Links
As clay tends to swell and shrink with the seasons/weather, my guess is that you need a thicker base to make a raft so that it does not break up prematurely.

what kind of thicker base? And what do you mean by raft? Do you mean the base of the shed? I'm thinking more specifically of the sub base. Ie will i need an MOT type base on top of the soil.

"My original plan was a 50mm 5:1 mix directly on top of the clay soil, then the pavers."
That is the bit I think you are skimming on for a clay soil

Sponsored Links
I would have gone for a concrete slab for a summer house, likely with rebar if on poor soil.

But if it is more of a lightweight shed might get away with patio quality foundations.

For which you need a >75mm MOT Type 1 granular hardcore compacted layer below your 50mm layer (which should use sharp sand not builders sand). And I am saying that for stable soil ground, no idea of you need thicker for clay soil.

Following are links for patios which have less loading than a summer house.

Last edited:
The shed is literally one of the below. 8x8. I was really hoping to get away without a sub base, but i'm guessing not judging by the comments. I would prefer to avoid the concrete route if possible, and use pavers on top of the sub base. But, from what i'm reading maybe this isn't a good idea.

1681998714559.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back