Garden shed isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have a 2.5mm SWA cable to the shed to power a double socket (for leccy mower, drill etc) and a fused light spur. I want to connect it to the ring in the kitchen rather than go all the way back to the consumer unit. The consumer unit is a recent split load unit so all circuits have RCD protection. Presumably then it would be okay to spur from the 32A kitchen ring (in the utility room) using a standard 45A DP switch rather than one of the big isolator switches?

Cheers all, M

Sponsored Links
I have a 2.5mm SWA cable to the shed to power a double socket (for leccy mower, drill etc) and a fused light spur. I want to connect it to the ring in the kitchen rather than go all the way back to the consumer unit. The consumer unit is a recent split load unit so all circuits have RCD protection. Presumably then it would be okay to spur from the 32A kitchen ring (in the utility room) using a standard 45A DP switch rather than one of the big isolator switches?
I suspect that others may well wish to make other comments about the arrangement but the short answer to your question is 'no'. Even if it weren't 'down the garden on the end of some SWA' if you want the spur from the kitchen ring to supply more than just one socket (and you are also supplying lighting), it would have to be a fused spur - so you would need to install a fused connection unit (FCU), with a 13A fuse, rather than your switch (or other isolator). That would, of course, limit the total load in your shed to 13A, but that would probably be OK for the uses you describe.

Kind Regards, John

You can only spur(unfused) one outlet from a ring final socket, you can fuse spur multiple outlets but will be restricted to 13A load.

What sort of distance is the shed from the house?

Hello and thanks for the responses!

The shed is 25m from the utility room.

Cheers, M

Sponsored Links
To be honest, if that's the only option then 13A is going to be plenty anyway. 100W lighting, 1kw mower, 600w sump pump = 1700W = 7A. That's pretty much it really!

To be honest, if that's the only option then 13A is going to be plenty anyway. 100W lighting, 1kw mower, 600w sump pump = 1700W = 7A. That's pretty much it really!
Indeed, and your 25m of 2.5mm² SWA would result in a voltage drop of about 5.85V at 13A, which is below the maximum drop (3% = 6.9V) you're allowed when there is lighting involved ... so the 13A switched FCU route iis probably the way to go.

Kind Regards, John

Only alternative other than 13A FCU, would be distribution from the consumer unit.
But 2.5mm over the 25m distance, will only allow for a 16A circuit, and as you have said, there still some distance to add to extend to CU.
So unless you intend to upgrade cable, there are no other options.

I have a 2.5mm SWA cable to the shed to power a double socket (for leccy mower, drill etc) and a fused light spur.
Who installed it?

What route does it take?

How many cores does it have?

What testing has been done on it?

How is it terminated at the garage end?

How do you plan to terminate it at the house end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back