Garden shed recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a shed for the garden. The old wooden shed is too old and damp, and now running out of space. Which type would be the best in price, robustness and maintenance free (relatively) terms between the traditional wooden, metal or plastic sheds?

We have local manufactures for wooden sheds, but they tend to be most expensive. The plastic sheds would be either from Costco, eBay or Amazon, and they seem not cheap either, and not sure if they would be durable for the long term use. Recently the metal sheds from eBay seem in good price, but they look flimsy in the materials, nightmare to assemble and install and condensation during winter months seem serious problem.

Any thoughts and ideas on this topic? Have you recently bought or made new sheds for yourself? Which makes were they? and how you feel about the experience?

I was also looking at DIY wooden sheds on youtube, but the cost of the woods have gone up, and it would look not much cheaper (if not more expensive) than buying one.

Sponsored Links
I bought a wooden shed when I moved into my current house 25 years ago. I re-treat it with preservative every two to three years and it's still as good as new, with one exception. The shed is on a concrete base and when it rains water runs underneath and soaks into the floor joists and the edge ones have rotted. Now I have replaced the wood beams with a line of bricks.

I think timber looks nice particularly after treatment and the dark colour I've used means it's not 'in your face' If it is damaged it can be easily repaired, things like hooks and electrical fittings can be screwed into it, and it looks nice particularly after treatment. I have seen plastic sheds that have faded, have handles that have become brittle and snapped off, and the doors twisted and don't close well. Difficult issues to rectify easily, I guess.

Finally, I'm trying to reduce my plastic usage primarily for environmental reasons, but I guess that could be mitigated by getting one from made from recycled plastic.

No experience with metal, although a friend of mine has a brick garage with a corrugated metal roof he used to use to workout in and you are right, the condensation drips everywhere, it ruined the equipment.

Wooden 'wood' be much better.

This is what i would go for myself.

It boiled down to the price in the end. Plastic / Resin sheds were just far too expensive for the size I was after (10x8). They were 1 - 2k.
But wooden sheds were not cheap either. 1 - 2k from the local shed sellers / makers.

I opted for a metal shed 10x8 with the floor kit for £320 including delivery from good old eBay.
I must prepare the ground levelling the slabs on it before it could be installed, and the assembly will be PIA they say. It will be flimsy and have problems with severe condensation in winter, but the price has won the selection. Wife also told me not to spend more than 3-400 max, hence that is the only shed I could find anywhere for sale for the price, and I am waiting one to arrive in next few days.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It boiled down to the price in the end. Plastic / Resin sheds were just far too expensive for the size I was after (10x8). They were 1 - 2k.
But wooden sheds were not cheap either. 1 - 2k from the local shed sellers / makers.

I opted for a metal shed 10x8 with the floor kit for £320 including delivery from good old eBay.
I must prepare the ground levelling the slabs on it before it could be installed, and the assembly will be PIA they say. It will be flimsy and have problems with severe condensation in winter, but the price has won the selection. Wife also told me not to spend more than 3-400 max, hence that is the only shed I could find anywhere for sale for the price, and I am waiting to arrive in next few days.

Can you fix some thin insulation material on the roof of it? That should stop condensation droplets forming on the roof?

Can you fix some thin insulation material on the roof of it? That should stop condensation droplets forming on the roof?

Sure, I saw people applying silicon around and over the screws and all the gaps around the base and ceiling too for blocking water coming in and condensation prevention on youtube. But will look into some insulating material to attach on the ceiling and the walls. Also thinking for installing a log burning stove as well in the metal shed after installation - not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

I'd recommend Keter plastic sheds. I've had one for years. Surprisingly solid, has never leaked and, of course, won't rust or rot.
I found it quite easy to put together with no problems. Everything fit together perfectly.

I would like to make one out of Lego!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back