Garden turf help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got in a mini digger yesterday to dig out all the old grass, some tree/bushes and try to level out the garden

Now he has finished, I'm left with a blank garden to start tufting. The ground is not fully levelled and I will most likely have to screed it

Do I need to use a wacker or roller on the soil before laying the turf?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes either use a heavy roller (water filled will be fine) or just heel it in by taking thousands of tiny steps over all of it after you have screeded it. A vibrating plate will compact it far too much.

I will most likely have to screed it

Screed is a process not a material.

Sponsored Links
I used an old concrete lintel tied to some rope to do mine (just happened to dig one up :D). Heavy, but good for levelling the peaks and troughs. Finished with a roller, kindly left by the previous owner too.

Get a good quality turf (I can recommend Rolawn). Google around for voucher codes as I managed to get 10% off on the first load and free delivery on the next. Not a massive saving, but anything is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back