Garden wall lighting advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am 3/4 of the way through garden renovation and have a question about lighting. We have created walling around the garden using hollow concrete blocks which are soon to be rendered. We have filled all the holes of the blocks with concrete and run armoured cable to holes/points we want to have lights in. Basically the wall will run with lights set in at intervals. We want lights the same size of your normal household downlights. Now i know you can get walk/drive over lights but they measure well over 100mm and look a bit big. Was thinking the usual 87mm diameter. What i was thinking was using ip67 downlights upside down, not permanently set into the blocks soi need to replace it wud be easy. I would then run a bead of exterior silicone around the upside down bezel edge to stop and water ingress. This is my theory anyway. Would there be a problem with this or does anyone have any better ideas. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Two problems:
1. Armoured cable cannot be directly connected to downlights or most other types of lighting
2. IP67 downlights are intended to be used facing down, and the IP67 relates to the front face of the device. If installed upside down outside, water from rain or just condensation will run down the body of the fitting and collect in the wiring terminals, which are not IP67 or anything like it.

If you want lights outside, then they will have to be those which are designed specifically for use there, such as those intended for use in driveways or paths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back