Garden Workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about building a Workshop at the bottom of my garden 3.6mtrs x 3.6mtrs. I was planning on building it out of wood on somekind of concrete slab. (Hopefully planning permission would not be required if made from wood).

I know you can buy self assembly kits, but the dimensions don't meet my requirements. The Walls of the Workshop will be the boundary of the bottom of my garden, so it has to fit exactly. I don't want windows in some of the walls, and I want to have a solid concrete floor.

I have searched the Internet for suitable plans/examples but I can't find anything.

Firstly I was going to build a small wall around the area of the floor, a Damp proof membrane would be put in and folded to go over the top of the blocks. The Concrete would then be layed. Do I need to put some steel mesh in with it? Also would I need to put in a layer of Insulation/Polystyrene?

How thick should the concrete be, what depth of ballast should I put in.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

Thankyou for your time.

Sponsored Links
I can do you a set of plans for the timber..
what style roof you looking for?

where do you want the door?
how many windows and what side etc?

do a quick skectch and I'll whip you up some plans..

you're on your own for the concrete base and walls though..

(Hopefully planning permission would not be required if made from wood).

Be careful with this. Planning permission will be determined by the size, height and closeness to the boundary ..... not by the material it is made of.

Google or search for " permitted development "

The other questions have been well covered here previously. So do a search again

Sponsored Links
I will still go a head...I have just Emailed the Planning Department to check if I need Planning Permission. If I do, then that's the route I will have to take. Thanks for the offer of the plans, but at the moment it's really the foundations I want to get sorted out, so if anyone can give me some advice I would be very grateful. I have checked in this Forum for suggestions but most are for sheds with wooden floors..I really wanted a solid concrete floor.

I was planning on building it out of wood on somekind of concrete slab. (Hopefully planning permission would not be required if made from wood).
Have a look at my photo shed from "In The Garden" forum sticky on page 1, made out of 2nd hand concrete precast slabs section bolted together which was half price and then covered it with timber log cladding apart from the back against the fence panels for fire protection reason and maintenance free. I passed my permission on the condition that the shed is 5m away from the property including the conservatory, pitch roof no more than 4m high (flat roof 3m) and doesn't take more than 50% of the garden area, this was some years ago and I don't have the latest details today

For your concrete base info have a look here http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back