Garden workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've read a few threads on here regarding garden outbuildings but they don't match exactly what I'm after.

I will soon be demolishing the garage at the front the rear garden in the photo attached as we will be extending the house and the garage isn't great structurally anyway. I need somewhere to store a couple of motorbikes and my tools.

My plan is to knock down the old pig sty walls that are falling down and build a 4.8m x 3.6m workshop / motorbike garage at the back of the garden (bottom right of the photo). I cant decide what to build it out of. Almost all garden workshops I see when I search are either shed type construction or timber frame, but Im thinking single skin concrete block with timber battens screwed to the inside face (with a damp membrane behind them), then insulated plasterboard would be a lot cheaper?

With the help of a mate whos an ex brickie, other than installing the foundations, this should be easier and quicker aswell. Or am I completely off the mark and wil actually cost a lot more / be a lot more difficult than I think? A timber framed workshop / garage just doesnt seem right to me.

It already has a concrete base, I'm not bothered about insulating the floor, assume will just need a self levelling compound applied?

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20230127204202.jpg
    IMG20230127204202.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
You're over 15m2 so it will need to be substantially fire resistant as it looks like you are within 1m from the boundary. Insulated plasterboard is more expensive than celotex and normal plasterboard. Personally, I'd keep it to 15m2 and make it in to a garden room office, that you can use all year round. - You should be able to make it for about 6k. You can leave the floor as concrete and add an insulated floor later.

Timber frame with 70mm celotex between the joists will get you to a U value of about 0.3 which would be heated in the winter with a small <1kw fan heater.

Have you got any more photos of the old shed, inside/outside? They don't make them like that any more!

Hi

I've read a few threads on here regarding garden outbuildings but they don't match exactly what I'm after.

I will soon be demolishing the garage at the front the rear garden in the photo attached as we will be extending the house and the garage isn't great structurally anyway. I need somewhere to store a couple of motorbikes and my tools.

My plan is to knock down the old pig sty walls that are falling down and build a 4.8m x 3.6m workshop / motorbike garage at the back of the garden (bottom right of the photo). I cant decide what to build it out of. Almost all garden workshops I see when I search are either shed type construction or timber frame, but Im thinking single skin concrete block with timber battens screwed to the inside face (with a damp membrane behind them), then insulated plasterboard would be a lot cheaper?

With the help of a mate whos an ex brickie, other than installing the foundations, this should be easier and quicker aswell. Or am I completely off the mark and wil actually cost a lot more / be a lot more difficult than I think? A timber framed workshop / garage just doesnt seem right to me.

It already has a concrete base, I'm not bothered about insulating the floor, assume will just need a self levelling compound applied?

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks
I think trying to work around that old pigsty will be more of a hindrance than a benefit, especially considering its poor position in the garden.

Sponsored Links
Mine is a bit like you describe. Its a little bigger (about 4 x 7) and single skin block built. Inside is lined with rockwool on some walls and celotex on others then covered in OSB. Got the OSB second hand, it was building site hoarding and came ready painted and was cheaper than plasterboard. Roof is OSB, celotex, metal.

Its been up a few years and been great. Holds the temperature OK. No damp or condensation.

Cost was about £3000 for materials (and big chunk was the slab). I did use quite a few second hand parts (eg window, doors) and picked up some blocks, lintels and celotex locally that were leftovers from other people's projects. All the work was DIY.

I very nearly went for a wooden shed. I'm sure it would've been quicker and easier but I much prefer what I have now. It wasn't that tricky for a DIYer so if you have a friendly brickie I'd go for it

Last edited:
Mine is a bit like you describe. Its a little bigger (about 4 x 7) and single skin block built. Inside is lined with rockwool on some walls and celotex on others then covered in OSB. Got the OSB second hand, it was building site hoarding and came ready painted and was cheaper than plasterboard. Roof is OSB, celotex, metal.

Its been up a few years and been great. Holds the temperature OK. No damp or condensation.

Cost was about £3000 for materials (and big chunk was the slab). I did use quite a few second hand parts (eg window, doors) and picked up some blocks, lintels and celotex locally that were leftovers from other people's projects. All the work was DIY.

I very nearly went for a wooden shed. I'm sure it would've been quicker and easier but I much prefer what I have now. It wasn't that tricky for a DIYer so if you have a friendly brickie I'd go for it
Sounds good. You got any photos? So you put battens against the block and then filled with rock wool and screwed the osb to the battens? Good idea, sounds cheaper than using rigid boards. How did you find laying the blocks, easy to keep straight?

Have you got any more photos of the old shed, inside/outside? They don't make them like that any more!
I believe it's from a RAF campsite from the war. The family that owned / built the house was in the army so I think they gave it to him. Maybe he lived in it whilst he built the house. It's got a boiler flue. Pretty sure it's asbestos cement

Attachments

• IMG20230124152955.jpg
    IMG20230124152955.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG20230124153019.jpg
    IMG20230124153019.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG20230124153004.jpg
    IMG20230124153004.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 71
She's both ugly and beautiful! (y)

Can't believe there's so little to it, you would never think it would survive wind or snow, but clearly it has.
The bolts going between the sheets must be doing all the work

She's both ugly and beautiful! (y)

Can't believe there's so little to it, you would never think it would survive wind or snow, but clearly it has.
The bolts going between the sheets must be doing all the work
You'd never think it's 80 years old. There's a few cracks but it's very solid. If it was at the back at of the garden I'd keep it but because it's almost in the centre it will be replaced with a garden room most probably

I believe it's from a RAF campsite from the war.
We used to have two of them on a bomb site down our street where I grew up in the late 50’s and we used to play in them. I have marked them on the photo. They were used to house Italian prisoners of war.

AF100729-B388-4F2E-992E-49A78EEE15FA.jpeg

We used to have two of them on a bomb site down our street where I grew up in the late 50’s and we used to play in them. I have marked them on the photo. They were used to house Italian prisoners of war.

View attachment 294623
So interesting that I'd love to know more about mine might look into the rad camp shame for it go but being asbestos can't really be moved etc

Asbestos - ugly but durable.

Correct, awful location. It needs binning.
Yeah. It's great St the moment, got to knock the old garage down so very useful but after we extend the house don't want to step out on to a nice new patio to see that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back