Garden Room as a garage/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (first post, hello!)

Has anyone considered using a Garden Room **** as a light, airy garage/workshop? I can find loads of examples of people demolishing their old garages to build a garden office that will never again see a drop of oil, and lots of examples of people building brick garages to store cars and motorbikes, but not Garden Rooms as garages.

Aside from the wooden construction (which I suppose could be a fire hazard, but then wooden garages exist), need for oil-proof flooring and lack of flush entry point in the majority of garden room designs, can anyone think why this wouldn't work?

More detail:
I'm just about to move into a house without a garage and had initially been investigating building a standard brick double garage for my 2 classic motorbikes and gym equipment. Something I can use all year round, so cavity wall insulated etc.

However, it seems cavity wall insulated brick is going to cost a bomb compared to a garden room, which will still be well insulated. I've talked to a couple of garden room companies who have all said "we can make anything to your bespoke requirements" but haven't exactly given me confidence that they know how to make a usable garage space - as most of their designs concentrate on housing gym equipment or chilling out on a sofa with a laptop and mug of tea.

This is my garden currently...

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 11.33.50.png

This is what I am planning - 18 square metres (thanks, 3D room design app...)

mancave_render.jpg
mancave.jpg

And inside will eventually look something like this.... maybe!

a508a6766c80e43357e7315d145f0cd5.jpg

Attachments

• mancave_layout.jpg
    mancave_layout.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back