Gardz or mist coat or both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start painting onto bare plaster. Have been given a big tin of Zinsser Gardz to seal the walls. Once that's gone on, do I also need to bother with a mist coat, or do I just crack on with undiluted paint?

Sponsored Links
I'm about to start painting onto bare plaster. Have been given a big tin of Zinsser Gardz to seal the walls. Once that's gone on, do I also need to bother with a mist coat, or do I just crack on with undiluted paint?
Mist coat, 10% water added to first coat of emulsion.

You only need to use Guardz to seal a wall when it had been wallpapered in the past. You could use Guardz on new plaster, but it would just be an expensive way to coat new plaster.

Part of my thinking re. using Gardz was that the walls were covered in distemper. I've got 99% of it off but figured if I Gardzd it, that'd stop whatever I put on top peeling off ten minutes later!

Hi,
I have used Gardz and had no problem emulsioning straight over the top.
A mist coat on the Gardz would probably just end up as a slippery mess! :)

Sponsored Links
Edit. Too early in the morning ignore the last post I put realised you situation is unquie.

Dont mist coat over the gardz, I think youd risk rubbing the gardz off. I just painted directly over mine and hasnt peeled. Mine was over wallpaper.

Last edited:

Zinsser recommend using Zinsser Grade 1® Primer for painting over distemper.

https://www.zinsseruk.com/howto/paint-limewash-distemper-walls/

That said, I have seen other decorators that say that they used two coats of Guardz and then full fat emulsion over that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back