Garege conversion query with insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a breeze block built detached garage which I wish to convert half of it into a playroom & keep the other half as a garage.

Garage half retains the up n over door, play room retains side door.

I plan to make a stud wall to seperate the two.

Q1, What size timber please i.e. 2x2 inch

Also I am thinking of insulation the walls & stud then battening & putting plasterboard over then lining paper.

Q2, Any recommendations of batten thickness & which insulation ( I am
on a budget)

q3, The roof is apex so again thinking of plasterboard the roof joists shall i just use loft insulation here?

I plan to fit spot lights in plaster ceiling

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sponsored Links
Q1, What size timber please i.e. 2x2 inch
better with 4x2".

Also I am thinking of insulation the walls & stud then battening & putting plasterboard over then lining paper.

100mm insulation between studs at 600mm centres 500 guage visqueen vapour barrier followed by 12.5mm gyproc.

18mm ply to opposite garage facing side.

3, The roof is apex so again thinking of plasterboard the roof joists shall i just use loft insulation here?

100mm insulation between the trusses 150mm cross bonded followed by 12.5mm gyproc.

Thanks for your advice Alistair,

What do you mean by 18mm ply to opposite garage facing wall?

I cannot picture what you mean, is the ply going on just one wall & is this over the 100m insulation & gyproc?

Sponsored Links
If you install ply to garage side you will still need to plaster board and skim over it to give you 30 mins fire separation if you are going down the building regs route. ;)

Hi Im going to be doing the same very shortly in my new house that has a detached garage. Except split the garage into two rooms.

It all depends on how much noise insulation you want. As for me I don't want any noise or as little as possible seeping out of the garage.

Hence room within a room industrial method.

Before doing that I'll be applying a anti-vibration damping membrane to my up and over metal door (after removing the brackets) and over the (unfortunately) metal roof sections then sealing everywhere with pvc.

Next stud framework around walls and extra joists for the ceiling. There should be a gap between the framework and the existing walls for noise separation.

After that stuff all gaps with knauf rocksilk rs60 (9 slab pack ive found are best value) you need high density and do not use bog standard insulation.

For my ceiling due to some joists being connected to the metal roof I'm going to have to use resillient bars. They provide an acoustic "gap" to avoid sound travel through connecting surfaces.

Once thats done a layer of 15mm gyproc soundbloc or knauf 15mm soundshield on walls and ceiling. Seal gaps with acoustic sealant (not the normal stuff).

Next bond 5kg/m2 sbm5 mats over all the plasterboard (this provides extra density) and then a final staggered layer of 15mm soundbloc or soundshield and again seal gaps with acoustic sealant.

Then test it out for a bit to see if it does what your after noise suppression wise.

You may need to upgrade the side door, Im going to get a solid timber fire door and cut it to size and I'm going to do an interior partition wall with the same method mentioned above on both sides of the partition.

Also any windows are a weak spot.I've got four that are going to be sealed then I'll fit some acoustic air vents.

And if you fit anything into the walls like fitted ceiling lights it does away with the noise suppression as you've created an means of escape for sound.

Of course it totally depends on how much noise you'll be making.

cheers

dave

Hi,

I have a breeze block built detached garage which I wish to convert half of it into a playroom & keep the other half as a garage.

As this will be habitable space, is it your intention to build it b'regs compliant, or simply as an 'improvement' to the garage.? Legally speaking you must adhere to regs and submit an application.

If you do decide to go down the legal route then the insulation in the walls, floor and ceiling/roof space, must conform to reg's. The windows may need trickle ventilation, the radiators and lighting must also conform as will all the electrics.

There may also be fire reg's issues but this will vary according to location and escape route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back