Gas analyser readings

Soggy_weetabix said:
... but not with the acid raid thats melting my garden......

......Poor combustion can be remedied with better Venturi (unless burner needs replacing) another post.
Firstly, I think acid rain relates to Nitrogen Oxides and Sulphur Dioxide in combustion products, not to CO.

Secondly, what venturi are you referring to? The burner? I hope you're not suggesting any unauthorised modification of the appliance. That would be irresponsible and illegal.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
oilman said:
CO is an indication of inefficiency, a MINIMUM amount of CO is the ideal.
Not so. To eliminate all CO from the flue gases would require excess Oxygen (therefore excess air) to be mixed with the gas before combustion. This excess air (mostly Nitrogen) would have to be heated during the combustion process and would increase the volume of hot flue gases going to waste, thus decreasing efficiency.

I was precise in my wording, and I said as you correctly quoted, "a MINIMUM". That does not mean eliminating all CO, since a minimum value is the lowest you can get to and it will certainly not be zero. Imagine a graph with a U shaped curve on it.

This excess air (mostly Nitrogen) would have to be heated...........

The excess air will not reduce the CO once you get to the MINIMUM, increasing the air, which will as you correctly point out, will need heating, will INCREASE the CO. Try it, it works.

oilman said:
..I was precise in my wording, and I said as you correctly quoted, "a MINIMUM". That does not mean eliminating all CO, since a minimum value is the lowest you can get to and it will certainly not be zero. Imagine a graph with a U shaped curve on it.

The excess air will not reduce the CO once you get to the MINIMUM, increasing the air, which will as you correctly point out, will need heating, will INCREASE the CO. Try it, it works.
That's not what this graph (and others) suggest. The point giving highest efficiency (highest percentage of CO2) is not the same as the point giving lowest CO, although they may be close.
FlueGas_Graph.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well you believe a graph like that if you want, but what I see is an increase of CO as the excess air goes up and consequently cools the flame, preventing it oxidising. Your graph might represent gas flames, but it certainly does not represent oil flames, hence I am able to reduce tha air and reduce the CO at the same time until soot is formed when the CO rises again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back