(gas) back boiler doesn't come on for CH or HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jeez what a week..mother in laws boiler doesn't respond to controls all of a sudden - though the gas fire on the front-end works ok so a duff gas supply is not the problem seemingly?

To be fair it is a Baxi Bermuda of about 30-40 years old..always serviced annually but not in 2015 apparently (& not thus far in 2016). To be fair though inefficient it has never caused any problems in its lifetime (which may of course have come to an end or going that way).

All I can ascertain is that all was fine, no problems whatsover, same old same old and then one day recently nothing..no HW or CH. The 3 amp fuse in the fused spur to the controller/programmer, an ancient Switchmaster SM805, has been tested and found to be ok. No thermostats have apparently been messed with settings wise.

I am going down next week (4 hrs drive!) and just wanted to do a bit of prep and need advice..guess I should look at the 3-way valve? as likely suspect?

However, I asked and was told that when trying to get the boiler to work (CH & HW on 24/7) the pump in the airing cupboard next to the boiler itself is running (vibrations felt..no nasty noises though)..wouldn't that seem to indicate the boiler itself is at fault? Also told that the last boiler-service guy (2014) said something about some corrosion on a "side plate" of the back boiler and that if kepr rotting & perforated it would have to be condemned on next service or the one after trhat. I think that had been forgotten as the old Baxi just kept on keeping on!
I know nothing about gas boilers..do these old ones have in-built sensors that could stop a boiler firing-up if there was an issue with efficient venting of carbon monoxide up the flue?

thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Also told that the last boiler-service guy (2014) said something about some corrosion on a "side plate" of the back boiler and that if kepr rotting & perforated it would have to be condemned on next service or the one after trhat. I think that had been forgotten as the old Baxi just kept on keeping on!

I know nothing about gas boilers..do these old ones have in-built sensors that could stop a boiler firing-up if there was an issue with efficient venting of carbon monoxide up the flue?

May I suggest your mother-in-law get it service by a Rgi ASAP as the corrosion on "a side plate" may get worse.

No, it does not have any in-built sensors, it is a very simple boiler.

Daniel.

thanks stardanny..of course you're right..should not have let 2015 Summer service slip by. We have a guy MiL has used for ages..think she (and we) forgot and I think maybe the guy may be unwell or something similar. Anyway will sort a service with a registered guy when down there next week.
I just wondered that if it was any other part of the system I could do something myself ..or even just if I could diagnose it.

Believe I'd never go near a gas appliance..I can't get gas.. used to 28 sec kero!

Sponsored Links
Might be an idea to try and pre book the RGI visit for when you are actually there. You can then discuss all options face to face.

Otherwise, I can see a second 4-hour journey .....

thanks hertsboilers..you are right..and I do hope it is that simple -you never know. I was just interested to know what sort of things would could cause the boiler pilot to go out? It's just that I think it must have been "in" for as long as I've known the house i.e. 15 years or more.
MiL is oldish..getting older fast if you know what I mean.. and we try to manage the place at arm's length to maintain a sense of (her) dignity and independence.
Thinking about it it's good that this has happened in a way - a wake-up call maybe - we clearly need to take control completely of this type of thing - despite the protestations ( I can hear them now!). Independence not much good after carbon monoxide poisoning eh!..we enter a new phase I think (like many others who look after elderly rellies at a distance)

thanks snes..you're right!..I'll be there for a fortnight with the wife. Good guys are in demand I know..will try to find out from Mil what's with the "normal" guy who has serviced this b/boiler for years..and go from there.

if the gas guy told you that something needs sorting then why just leave it ( because it was running alright:LOL:)

just a thought..the gas fire apparently fires up no probs (she needs it this evening brrr)..are there 2 separate pilots lights..one for the fire front and one for the boiler? I think the B/boiler is a Baxi Bermuda 552..the front end is identical to this one that I found via Google:
$_86.JPG

>agas..thanks for your comment. What he said Sept 2014 was that it was fine at the moment but maybe be prepared a year or maybe 2 down the line to think about a replacement.. as there were signs of corrosion. on some side plate?. I was there back then (it's not always easy to be there with a 4 hr plus drive in between her and us). No idea why the normal annual service was not carried out in 2015..I don't run the old woman's life..though I will probably have to now! Yes we should have checked. I think the story was the engineer (self-employed but registered) had been suffering from illness..and the 2015 service lapsed. ANYWAY that's where it is and we'll deal with it.

i would attend for you but I'm nowhere near there but maybe someone else is . but your MIL is going without hw & ch for a while thou so it needs
sorting so can't wait for you to turn up so you need to get a RGI sorted asap don't you think

We normally recommend Kevin in that area.

As long as its not mounted very high up.

>agas..hw is from immersion heater..heat if needed in lounge/kitchen-diner from gas fire in lounge - and elsewhere , if needed, from electrical appliances like fan heaters
Thanks all..will try to get hold of the "usual guy" who knows the thing backwards after many years servicing it..and go from there.

I would still like to know if there is a separate pilot light for the boiler (and the gas-fire front-end part which works fine)..just out of interest you understand!..I WON'T BE TOUCHING ANYTHING believe me. Thanks again to all who have tried to help me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back