gas cooker fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Cannon Chichester gas cooker has a main oven which works fine, but the (smaller) top oven isn't heating up as it should.

I've checked that the jets are clear and the flames seem even and high enough. The door seal appears ok and I can't feel significant heat loss around the edge of the door.

Any suggestions as to any other tests I can do before calling out a repairer?

All helpful comments gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If you are getting the standard flame on start up, prior to the full burn flame, but no automatic flare after that, then it could be the device which initiates that burn, the flame safety device, which the engineer would deal with.

If you are getting the standard flame on start up, prior to the full burn flame, but no automatic flare after that, then it could be the device which initiates that burn, the flame safety device, which the engineer would deal with.

Yes, I am getting the full burn flame after the initial start period (pilot flame), and this flame appears blue, even and high.

What else can I check?

When the top oven is on, does the full flame shut down before it reaches the correct temperature? - if so, then I think it's the thermostat, but there will be someone along soon who could answer that for sure.

Sponsored Links
The flame doesn't reduce, yet the oven doesn't run at the correct temp.

Incidentally, I wouldn't attempt a DIY repair on the oven = (I wouldn't be able to get the parts anyway) - I'm only trying to ascertain the cause of the fault before I call on a qualified gas man.

The OP didn't suggest he was going to tackle anything, and I advised an engineer? I think one would find the same advice in the "users instructions" on troubleshooting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back