gas cooker flexible bayonet hose

Do you not think it reasonable for a layman to expect a brand new appliance costing £'000s to actually work properly?

The manufacturers certainly won't when you tell them you've fitted it.

All it tells me is you've spent disproportionately more on a cooker than you're prepared to spend having it competently & safely installed.

Sponsored Links
Use either ptfe tape( the gas type in the yellow packaging) or Boss White pipe jointing compound

Woah this has escillated quickly!! It happens alot on this forum ;)

OP, sorry you feel patronised by the various comments and replies from RGI's on here. We're all pretty defensive when it comes to our trade as it costs thousands to be "gas qualified" plus the countless years of experience that go with it. It's a very heavily regulated industry and often there's alot more involved in a job than would appear. A cooker hose connection like you describe is in itself pretty simple but it's the checks/tests assosiated with it that make the difference.

RGI's on here won't give gas related advice to DIYer's for various reasons but for me it's because if something goes wrong I wouldn't want to be associated with it.

It's more than likely that you will fit this cooker yourself and all will be well. If you get a water pipe wrong you get wet, a gas pipe is a potential explosion! I know this may sound overly dramatic, particularly for the task you describe, but it's not really worth the risk in my opinion.

Anyway, hope all goes well for you! ;)

Sponsored Links
And being incompetent to DIY gas makes it OK for you to patronise insult and lie to me when I ask for an explanation does it?

So you're now accepting being incompetent which makes your gas work illegal which brings us back to the original advice to get an RGI.

However I really don't care either way, it's your home, your cooker and your collar felt if you get it wrong.

you've spent disproportionately more on a cooker than you're prepared to spend having it competently & safely installed.

I never said I wasn't prepared to spend money having it installed, I just couldn't see the need for what I thought was fixing a hose to it.

It would have been nice to have had an explanation of the need.

OP, sorry you feel patronised by the various comments and replies from RGI's on here. We're all pretty defensive when it comes to our trade as it costs thousands to be "gas qualified" plus the countless years of experience that go with it. It's a very heavily regulated industry and often there's alot more involved in a job than would appear. A cooker hose connection like you describe is in itself pretty simple but it's the checks/tests assosiated with it that make the difference.
Indeed, but rather than explain that people decided they'd rather patronise insult and lie to me when I failed to realise from an instant "you need an RGI" that there were various tests to do.

Not you personally, "you" as a group of experts on this forum.

So even though we have no offline connection with eachother, you can group us as one and the same yet you expect to be treated as an individual and not some DIY chancer.

Indeed, but rather than explain that people decided they'd rather patronise insult and lie to me when I failed to realise from an instant "you need an RGI" that there were various tests to do.

But not before you thought you'd get clever with them.

Id like a bit of realism really.

Its one screwed connection to check for leaks.

Commissioning? It doesnt need commissioning each time I unplug it from the bayonet so whats the difference? Saying I need an RGI to screw a hose in isnt realistic. Boilers, gas fires, pipeing to be soldered and designed yes, but not screwing in a hose designed to be disconnected at the other end anyway.

If you were competent to work on gas you would realise what a silly billy you are being as you show no common sense with relation to fitting a cooker whatsoever. Plug it in and spray for leaks? peolple like you give the gas industry a bad name.
You are so foolish it must be a wind up :LOL:

You dont even know me but if you are going to take a dislike to people when they object to you patronising, insulting and lying to them then I imagine you dislike a great many people.

All I wanted was proper advice but because I didnt prostrate myself following the first "get an RGI" you seem to think its OK to abuse me.

Well it ******* well isn't

What you have written above is both insulting and very rude and indicates to me a lack of education and good manners!

That does not reflect well on you!

Is the current bayonet position suitable according to the new cookers MI's? Most range cookers have a 'designated' area in which the bayonet must be positioned. This is critical for the safe operation of the appliance. If its not, what are you going to do then?

Can you explain the correct purging procedure for the new appliance?

Just basic stuff Im sure you will have no doubt taken into consideration.

David.

I think the thing the OP is forgetting is that RGIs cannot just screw in a hose to the cooker, squirt some fluid and go.

Cleverer people than us have designed a procedure of testing from which we are not allowed to deviate.

So when a DIYer suggests we making the job seem overcomplex by saying professional knowledge is necessary, he is suggesting that there is a quicker way.

There is a quicker way but we are not allowed to operate that way, because statistics have shown it kills people.

As fitting this to the cooker doesnt involve sizing or installing rigid pipework or soldering joints or anything to do with flues that could leak or poor combustion that could poison me etc I plan to fit it myself.

So supply to a new cooker doesn't need to be sized, the rigid pipe never has to be re-positioned and you can't get poor combustion because it doesn't have a flue.

Probably is a wind up after all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back