Gas Cowl on Chimney Noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new fire fitted about 4 years (HE gas) into a class 1 chimney. During some building work I was told the chimney didn't have a cowl fitted and that rain/birds could fall in. So I purchased one and it was installed.

However since then in light to moderate winds the chimney is really noisy in the front room.

Has the wrong type been installed? Is there anything I can do to this one?

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20180308_082908.jpg
    20180308_082908.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 236
Sponsored Links
What kind of noise? Mine makes an annoying whistle but opening the woodburner door a fraction stops it

I’ve got the same cowl as you, they’re common

Mine sounds like a gale is blowing. It never happened before this was fitted. Mine is sealed so nothing to open.

I can see two things on top of your chimney. Which is it?

Sponsored Links
I have no idea what the second little one is. Its been there forever.
When they did the chimney there was a silver foil pipe in there. I have no idea where that was connected.

What should i replace it with

I have no idea what the second little one is. Its been there forever.
When they did the chimney there was a silver foil pipe in there. I have no idea where that was connected.

What should i replace it with
the little one is from a redundant gas boiler. You need a Clay GC2 gas flue chimney cowl (that into google will bring up details) Then a Registered Gas Installer to verify and install.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back