Gas cowls for my chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My chimney has not been used for several years and i wish to use it again by fitting a gas fire heater. Can someone tell me which type of gas cowl i require for my chimney. As you can see from the picture, current cowl insert is a Hood Top, i have been told this is incorrect for gas fuel heaters. Went to my local building merchants and they said they do stock gas cowls but were not in a position to give advice which type of cowls to use as this is something a gas safe engineer can only give advise. But they did mention DFE gas cowl flue terminal 225mm and Insert Terminals GC2 / GC5 external dia 205mm

Can someone please explain to me which one would be suited for my setup.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean by gas fire heater.
Is it a gas fire?
The type of cowls that you have fitted indicate to me that there have been problems with down drapht at sometime during in the past.

The type of cowls that you have fitted indicate to me that there have been problems with down drapht at sometime during in the past.

They are just rain cap inserts...nothing to do with downdraught and not approved for use with any type of fire.

Most gas fires work best without any chimney pot insert. Where birds are a problem suitable guards are available. Fire installer will sort out.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean by gas fire heater.
Is it a gas fire?.

Sorry meant gas fire :oops:

Just been reading up on the internet regarding cowls, these types of insert are for ventaliation purpose only, i maybe wrong! but considering this chimney hasn't been used for a while, fireplace in all rooms boarded up.

Most gas fires work best without any chimney pot insert. Where birds are a problem suitable guards are available. Fire installer will sort out.

so i can just have the insert removed and install the relevant insert for mygas appliance. Would i need to fit new inserts for all 4 pots or can i just replace for the 2 pots. GasFire to fitted in front reception room and rear reception (Dinning room).

Sorry for all the questions just want to know all the in's and out's before i get the fire installer around :)

Can you not get a universial cowl that can be used for all gas fires ? So i assume cowls are grouped into types of gas fire ie class 1 or class 2, so if i fit a class 1 cowl i would need to purchase a gas fire in category class 1 or visaversa.

Just watched this video from the sponsors site.. may this will be ok for me ?

Just for the sake of the forum...

DO NOT INSTALL the fire yourself. You show a complete lack of understanding of the requirements.

They certainly look a bit fancy, I've never seen one before!

This is a traditional cowl for use with a gas appliance.
http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/comms1/prods/19.html
It's a gc1 and they are by far the most common one but you will have to remove the whole pot then fit the plate then flauch it with sand and cement.

If down drapht has been problem in the past these are also very good and popular.
http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/comms1/prods/12.html

Incedently, why are you fitting a gas fire when the trend fior today is to fit a modern electric fire.

Just for the sake of the forum...

DO NOT INSTALL the fire yourself. You show a complete lack of understanding of the requirements.

I have no intentions of installing the gas fire myself. But i can say one thing i have learnt a lot about cowls in the last couple of days more then my local gas safe engineers :D

They certainly look a bit fancy, I've never seen one before!.

same here when i first saw them

This is a traditional cowl for use with a gas appliance.
http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/comms1/prods/19.html
It's a gc1 and they are by far the most common one but you will have to remove the whole pot then fit the plate then flauch it with sand and cement.

don't these type of cowl have to be used with liner ??

When having a new gas fire installed you do not have to have a cowl fitted. the flue must be swept/cleaned and certified.if your concerned about birds/vermin coming down flue get a UFO fitted.

don't these type of cowl have to be used with liner ??[/quote]

No they are perefectly OK without a liner.

I've been thinking you could save a lot of work by just removing the insert from the chimney pot then put the cowl into the top of the pot pack around it with fibre glass to hold it in position/centralise it; then all you need do is flauch it round with sand and cement
Like this one's been done.

The middle one is the gc1 and the others are mushrooms, which are not suitable for gas appliances. [/img]

When having a new gas fire installed you do not have to have a cowl fitted. the flue must be swept/cleaned and certified.if your concerned about birds/vermin coming down flue get a UFO fitted.

i was getting mix advice m8, so on the safe side i thought i might aswell fit a cowl for gas fire.

I've been thinking you could save a lot of work by just removing the insert from the chimney pot then put the cowl into the top of the pot pack around it with fibre glass to hold it in position/centralise it; then all you need do is flauch it round with sand and cement

my gas engineer has already ordered the Brewer Cowl MkII but will use your idea on the other pots.. big thanks :)

my gas engineer has already ordered the Brewer Cowl MkII but will use your idea on the other pots.. big thanks :)[/quote]

Yeah, it should be fine even if it seems a little unaurothodox.

I've magnified the cowls more and re-posted because I was a little disapointed with my previous photo not being that clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back