Gas fire problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In August I had someone check my gas fire and service it and issue a gas safety cert. All OK. In the last week the fire keeps turning its self off after 5 minutes. I called in another plumber to check it out and they condemned it and said it wasn't safe. They also think the chimney will need flue lining and it's all going to cost hundreds of pounds!!!! How come a qualified person checks it August and raises no issues and now this guy says it isn't safe. I also had the chimney swept and smoke tested in August and all was OK. ventilation isn't a problem as the whole house is open plan right up to the top bedroom

Sponsored Links
Why have a plumber check a gas fire? Get a qualified gas service engineer to check it.Plumbers and gas fires don't go together.If it worked once ,it will work again.

Sponsored Links
RadarBailey";p="1813027 said:
In August I had someone check my gas fire and service it and issue a gas safety cert. All OK. In the last week the fire keeps turning its self off after 5 minutes. I called in another plumber to check it out and they condemned it and said it wasn't safe.
RadarBailey";p="1813027 said:
The 2nd guy probably thought that the ODS had activated and shut down fire due to oxygen deprivation in room. This is the function of the ODS. However, questions:

Did the service guy strip down the fire fully, removing the fire from the flue?
Did the 2nd guy, remove the fire from the flue?
Did the 2nd guy look at the ODS?

Why did you not get the 1st guy back?

I could almost guarantee getting the fire working within 30 seconds, but I would then insist on carrying out mandatory tests, as you can never assume that the previuos guy did.

I can't give specific gas advice on this forum, and you can't access the CC. However, get a properly registered gas "engineer", ensure that he is registered for fires AND has experience of fire fault finding, and you are likely to have a reasonable result

Or get the first guy back. He may or may not have missed something, but this fault is extremely common, and CAN occur even shortly after a full and proper service, as it is related to the immediate enviromen

Below is the email from the plumber:

The surround that is in, is unsafe and unsuitably sealed. There are also holes and pipes inside the builders opening whereby products of combustion could travel. There was also lots of rubble and bricks which could possibly have fallen from the chimney itself. There was also bread and bits of hay like material which indicates an ingress of bird and a possible nest. There is also no lintel.
I would recommend a flue box and liner and new fire and surround as the fire in has no labelling or markings to show what the burner pressures should be, or even the model.

The 2nd plumber also confirms the above, So it looks like I'll have to replace the fire and upgrade the chimney.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back