Gas fitter asking a plumbing question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.. Fitted a vaillant 937 combi in place of a vented cylinder and old back boiler. Boiler went in the loft so pipes all went across loft and into cylinder cupboard.
Hot out let tees into a pipe under the floor, as it hit the tee the left hand side is feeding two on suites and the right hand side feeds down stairs outlets.

The prob is hot water is only around 40 odd degs ...
First I checked the gas supply, I have a steady 20 mb at the boiler gas valve when hot water drawing, so now gas inlet probs, no heating probs either.

What I did notice was there was a lot of unusual water movement noise when ever a hot tap was been drawn, more than usual...

In the cupboard there is a gate valve that tees of the cold mains water supply and bends under the floor to the on suites, this I assumed was the cold feeds to the on suites..

I closed this just to see if it had any effect. The noise reduced and the hot water down stairs became extremely improved 65/70 degs..
When I tried the on suites hot supply's they also we're perfect, red hot. But... When I turned on the cold supply's in the on suites they ran at a reduced rate and hot!!! When I then opened the gate valve these cold supply's ran cold but the hot ran Luke warm again....

It's as though cold water is entering the hot supply somewhere in the on suites from the left of the house upstairs...

Is it possible for the concealed shower units to be passing cold through internally to the hot side when another outlet is opened?
Or can mixers taps pass internally to dilute the hot to another outlet?

Where the boiler hot outlet joins the original cylinder outlet it goes to a tee, the pipe from the boiler is very very hot, soon as it hits the tee after it the pipe is cool enough to hold your hand on it. Once this cold gate valve is shut the pipe after the tee becomes extremely hot , too hot to hold , same temp as the part before the tee from the boiler outlet.

Ideas please guys, there's two on suites, both have concealed showers. Both have mixers tap sinks , one has mixer bath tap.

Thanks. A confused gas fitter!!

Sponsored Links
It will certainly be one of the showers passing cold to hot, a common problem on some makes of showers that have non-return valves in the inlets. The hot side NRV typically has a damaged O ring or piece of debris wedged in the mechanism. Try turning each shower to full hot or cold on the temperature adjustment, that usually shuts off one port and confirms your suspicions.

Also check the showers are suitable for mains pressure, not gravity only.

You can confirm the temperature leaving the boiler by checking D.3 diagnostic code on the boiler display. A correctly set up 937 will quickly achieve the DHW set temperature, typically 55C-60C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back