Gas hob. All 4 burners don't stay lit sometimes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a hot point gas hob that doesn't always stay lit after ignition.

To light a burner I need to press down the knob and turn it. This activates the ignition switch. The problem is when I let go of the knob it goes out. This applied to all 4 burners.

Usually in the morning it won't work but usually in the evening or lunch time it will work (but not always).

Is this likely to be an issue with the hob itself or something to do the gas supply?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try holding the knob down for a bit longer after the burner has lit. The burners probably have flame detection on them and and they sometimes need a bit of time to detect the flame.

Not suggesting you try this, but....

Each burner will be fitted with a thermocouple to detect the heat from the flame. The thermocouple will be like a small post, sticking up into the flame. With the flame present, a tiny voltage/current is generated, which is fed to the valve to retain it open, via what might appear to be a tiny copper wire, connected to the valve via a nut.

Because the voltage is so tiny, what can happen is that a little oxide can build up on the terminals, at the nut. Undoing, releasing and retightening the nut, can often be enough to clear the issue.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back