Gas hob - LX connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time soon I'm going to be getting a gas hob which I assume will need an electrical connection to provide ignition. My initial thought is to run a spur from a nearby socket to an above worktop FCU and then to feed the appliance cable directly into this. Is this kosher? Does the FCU have to be switched and/or neoned? What fuse would normally be required? And, is this job notifiable under Part P?

Thanks in advance. I’m sure it’s a simple job and I could probably look it up, but my experience of electrical manuals is that they seem to explain complicated jobs in great detail while completely ignoring the simple stuff - and they make my head hurt!

Cheers.

Spook.

Sponsored Links
go from the load terminals of the FCU to a flex outlet plate below the worktop using T&E, may as well use 2.5mm² same as you are spuring to the FCU with (then if someone needs to attach a higher load in future they don't need to replace the cable), then connect the flex from the hob ignitor into the flex connection plate, fit a a 3A fuse in the FCU.

It is notifiable under part p, but whether you notify or not is entirely upto you though... ;)

Edit: I'd use one with a switch and neon

Thanks for the info Adam_151.

Adam_151 said:
It is notifiable under part p, but whether you notify or not is entirely upto you though... ;)

But...but...isn't that naughty? Do people do that? Honest? ;)

Sponsored Links
Spook said:
But...but...isn't that naughty? Do people do that? Honest? ;)

I reckon there are many people who couldn't give a flying **** about part p :LOL:

Oh the other thing I forgot to say, make sure your cable runs are in straight lines either horzontal or vertical from accessories, this is one of the ways of reducing the risk of cables being drilled into - running them in 'prescribed zones' said zones also run near corners and near the ceiling, thing its a border of 150mm from the edge, but would have to look that up.

The other methods, FWIW, are burrying more than 50mm deep and encasing in earthed metal conduit, sticking to the zones is the easiest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back