Gas hob regulations/leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We called the gas emergency line due to us being able to smell gas. Their investigations discovered that the leak was coming from one of the rings on the hob leaking due to the knob getting stuck and not turning off properly. The hob does not have an isolation valve so in order to prevent further leaks the engineer has turned off the gas at the meter, leaving us without heating and hot water. We have since cleaned the knob and it appears to work properly. The problem we have is that the hob was not fitted within regulations by the previous owners of the house in terms of how far it is away from vertical surfaces (it is only 40mm away from the back and side wall although these walls are both tiled). Would a GasSafe engineer check the hob over and make any necessary repairs? Or would they insist that it be replaced to regulations?

Sponsored Links
they would need make sure the regulations are met and can only really give you proper advice when he/she is looking at it.

At the very least, they would be able to get your heating and hot water back on with realative ease.

Don't think of an engineers visit as a quote, he is there to diagnose your issues, with that, don't expect it to be a free visit.

Sponsored Links
either way you will be getting the gas man in so why ask...

I would like to know whether I need to replace most of our kitchen to get a working hob or whether despite the fact the hob was not installed to regulations it could be repaired. Yes either way I will be getting "the gas man" in but I would prefer to get the opinion of people with knowledge of the regulations rather than just take the word of whatever "gas man" I choose to employ.

if you get it repaired then it would be classed as NCS (not to currant standards) as it doesn't meet the measurements req, however if you get it replaced then it should meet with the MI (however if the back is tiled then personally i wouldn't have a prob installing it with only 40mm)

pics of the hob & surrounding area would be good

so you will take the word off people on a forum who could be anyone with no qualifications rather then a gassafe engineer whos card showing his qualifications stood before you ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back