Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I need some advice, Here is an overview of my heating system
Ex Council House with 3 Bedrooms
7 Double Radiators + TRV's
5 Single Radiators + TRV's
3 Taps that can supply hot water (Shower / Wash Basin & Kitchen Sink)
Open Vented System with Header Tank / Expansion and Indirect heating Cylinder.
The pipes are 15mm to Radiators with the main flow and return being slightly larger possibly 22mm the entire system is copper pipe.

The advice I need is
I am having Installers coming out this next week to quote for Gas.

What type of boiler do you suggest I need? E.g. If they quote for a boiler that is too big for my needs?
What boiler types should I steer clear from, I hear mixed reviews on Baxi and Glowworm?
Does my pipe work need upgraded?
Does my radiators require upgrading?
My hot water tank is in a cupboard on the second floor with all walls being plasterboard. Can I install a combi in this cupboard?
Can I have the flue run through the void in the attic and out through the roof?
With regards to the condensate can I choose to have a pump fitted to allow the pipe work to run horizontally through the attic before running vertical.

If someone can advise me that would be great, I will put the quotes up but perhaps if there are any questions I should be asking or whatever?

I am new to getting people giving me quotes so not quite sure what I should be asking / showing?

Cheers,

Dean

Sponsored Links
In have never seen your house so cannot calculate the heat loss!

If you don't trust your installers then calculate it yourself!

Probably about 15 kW but it all depends on the walls and insulation.

Tony

ASK THE PEOPLE GIVING QUOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will know the answers and can see the job. You have to learn this on your own, nobody has seen your house/layout to be able to quote you a price to pay or a set up to use or even a boiler size! Agile had a go though?!?!?

ITS A DIY SITE not a quote hunter site.

I know this is not a quote hunter site you dont need to be so ignorant. I am looking for advice on what questions to ask.

I have my own questions and I want to know if I have a gas engineer who says no to some of these I know they are lying.

I dont want to pay for someone to do zero work!

Sponsored Links
You are going in with an attitude that you are being ripped off which will come across and **** the installers off.

Get friends to give you recommendations of installers they have used and trust them to do a good job

Get a quote for a combi boiler, 28kw vaillant should do nicely and ask them to check your water pressure and flow.

Without seeing it.......

Sounds like your rads and pipes sound ok, as long as they aren't rusted and slugged up.

If you have a external pump, ask for a quote for a heat only boiler.

Also ask for a quote for a combi, at a guess the combi will be more to buy and install than a heat only boiler.

With a heat only you could keep everything and just replace the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back